1. It all started last June, when Scotland resident Johnnie Blue reached out to J.K. Rowling on Twitter like so many of her fans often do.
2. But to his surprise, Rowling actually responded.
4. Then in July, Johnnie also had the chance to meet Rowling at a book signing for The Silkworm, which she wrote under her pen name, Robert Galbraith.
And she remembered him!
“I told Jo, ‘Thank you so much, you’ve really changed my life,” in which Jo replied, ‘Wow, that’s an amazing thing to say,’” Johnnie told BuzzFeed. “I then told Jo, ‘I was the Dobby eyes boy you replied to on Twitter, do you remember me?’ and she shouted ‘Ahh, it’s you! Of course I remember you!’”
5. Johnnie gave Rowling a notebook that was personally designed by Jason Cockcroft (who did the cover art for UK Bloomsbury Harry Potter books). Inside the notebook he left a handwritten letter for the author about how she changed Johnnie’s life.
6. When he came home from school on Aug. 20, Johnnie had been sent an envelope with a Chamber of Secrets stamp on it.
“I opened the purple tissue-lined envelope to find J.K. Rowling’s signature letterhead,” he recalled.
7. Here’s a picture of the letter, which Johnnie sent to BuzzFeed:
“By the time I was finished reading the letter, there were tears rolling down my face,” he recalled.
8. Here’s what it said:
You have fantastic handwriting. That’s not the most important thing I’ve got to say to you, but I thought I’d mention it — I’m a connoisseur.
On to more important things:
What you say about Harry helping you at what was clearly a dreadful time in your life means more to me than I can easily express. I freely confess that I loathe bullying and the way it is still so often “handled” in schools. Your experience is shocking and disturbing and that you have turned out to be a compassionate, moral, highly motivated person is high testimony to your courage. Gryffindor for you, my lad…
Thank you so much for the stunningly beautiful notebook. I love it.
This letter seems to be a series of non-sequiturs, but why break the pattern: I have family roots in Ayrshire — Arran, to be precise. And I’ve never been there. Embarrassing, isn’t it? Don’t tell the Nationalists.
I’m sure we’ll see each other again. In the meantime, I’ll watch out for you on Twitter.
Love from Jo
9. Rowling kept her promise to watch out for Johnnie on Twitter and has responded to even more of his tweets since they met.
12. “J.K. Rowling to me, is a hero,” Johnnie told BuzzFeed. “She’s saved so many peoples lives, along with mine, something I will be eternally grateful for.”
- A newly unearthed Homeland Security report contradicts Donald Trump's travel ban, saying country of origin is not a reliable indicator of terrorism.
- The White House blocked several media outlets it's been critical of, including BuzzFeed, from a closed-door briefing by press secretary Sean Spicer.
- Hillary Clinton returned to the public arena in one of her first political appearances since the election, urging Democrats to "keep fighting."
- The White House strongly denies reports that Chief of Staff Reince Priebus urged the FBI to undermine stories linking Trump to Russia.