26 Horrible Assumptions Americans Have Made About Other Countries, According To Non-Americans
"Africa is not a country."
Some Americans tend to see the rest of the world through red, white, and blue–colored glasses. This has led to a lot of ridiculous assumptions and harmful stereotypes regarding other countries.
Here are some of the top answers:
1. "That lederhosen are a thing in Germany. No one walks around in lederhosen except in Munich on Oktoberfest or tourists.
2. "My American ex-boyfriend and his friends assumed that I could tolerate way more alcohol than they could because I'm Belgian.
3. "I'm Muslim from an Arab country, and I've had times where people think I'm a terrorist or think I have a weapon in my pants whenever I'm reaching into my pocket for my phone.
4. "Africa is not a country. Most countries here are different from each other.
5. "It's annoying to hear Americans pronounce the names of the countries Iran and Iraq as if they're names of Apple products."
6. "Americans think that South Africa is dirt roads and mud huts in the grasslands with large animals roaming freely. We have big, very modern cities.
7. "I’m British, and we’re not as posh as Americans think we are."
8. "I'm from the Netherlands. We're so much more than just Amsterdam. We really don't smoke as much weed as people think.
9. "They assume that just because it's a Middle Eastern country, it's similar to Saudi Arabia. I'm from Bahrain and a woman. We've been allowed to drive since the '50s, if I'm correct.
10. "That everything in Australia will kill you.
11. "Americans seem to think Canadians are all really nice, polite, mild, passive people."
12. "For the last time, in Ireland we don’t only eat potatoes and drink Guinness.
13. "I'm from Scotland, and most Americans assume that we're forced to live without guns so that our government can kill us...completely unaware that guns are legal here and over 99% of licenses are approved. It's our police who aren't allowed guns, not the people.
14. "As a Norwegian, this doesn't apply to just Americans but to multiple parts of the world. We're an oil nation, so certain people have this thought that we're all super rich, like closing-in-on-millionaire rich.
15. "Italian here. They think that when we speak English, we get that Super Mario accent.
16. "Outback Steakhouse has pretty much ZERO to do with Australia.
17. "I'm Russian. People assume that we all drink vodka and have bears walking around the city."
18. "I've lived in Brazil for about two decades, and I've never seen a monkey. Brazil is not only Rio and the Amazon rainforest.
19. "I’m Welsh, and apparently we all love sheep. They’re not THAT common.
20. "Americans somehow think that Czechia is still Czechoslovakia.
21. "For the last time, we Swedes do not talk like the chef from The Muppets."
22. "As a French person, something that I always hear concerning the country is that it's inhabited by rude, selfish, and annoying people who always complain.
23. "Most Americans think that the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina is still going on and that it's dangerous to go here. FYI, the war ended 26 years ago, and there is virtually no danger here."
24. "Most people in Colombia know nothing about cocaine or how much it costs. I couldn't even tell you where to get it from.
25. "That I come from South Africa, New Zealand, or Australia. I come from the UK, but I have a northern accent.
26. "They don't assume anything about Bosnia and Herzegovina because they barely know we exist."
Note: Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.