Skip To Content
    Dec 15, 2017

    This Video Of A Mom's Postpartum Hair Loss Is Both Accurate And Shocking

    "Nothing like that post-pregnancy shed!"

    New mom Christina Kreitel knows a thing or two when it comes to hair. She is a stylist and the owner of Utah-based Intrepid Studio Salon.

    christinakreitel / Via instagram.com

    She recently shared one of the not-so-glamorous side effects of postpartum life...

    christinakreitel

    Hair loss.

    The video shows Kreitel pulling hair from a client who is experiencing hair loss after giving birth.

    christinakreitel / Via Instagram: @christinakreitel

    Postpartum hair loss (called telogen effluvium) is common between one and five months after delivery.

    jcalibee / Via Instagram: @jcalibee

    During a normal hair cycle, about 90% of your hair is growing at any given time, while the other 10% is in a resting phase. Every few months the resting hair falls out, allowing new hair to grow in its place. According to the American Pregnancy Association, the rise in hormones during pregnancy keeps you from losing your hair. But – after delivery – your hormones return to normal levels, so the extra hair you gained during pregnancy falls out.

    All I gotta say is, moms are amazing AF.

    jennabeaverson / Via Instagram: @jennabeaverson

    Want awesome parenting tips in your inbox twice a week? Sign up for the BuzzFeed Parents newsletter!

    Newsletter signup form