We recently asked the BuzzFeed Community to share the worst thing their mother-in-law ever did to them. Here's the tea...
1. My mother-in-law got upset that I wouldn’t tell her which sex position her granddaughter was conceived in.
2. My husband and I went to visit my MIL at her house. She had moved into my hubby's old room and was showing us the changes she made. We sat on the bed to talk to her and, I kid you not, she said, "You know what I did in this bed? I masturbated."
3. Within the first 15 minutes of meeting my mother-in-law for the first time, she casually whipped out her boob and started to show me a strange mole she was concerned about. Then, she went into great detail about the vaginal mesh she had put in. Thankfully she didn't try to whip that out to show me.
4. On the way out the door to go to the rehearsal dinner for my wedding, my MIL patted my stomach and asked if there was “something I wanted to let everyone know" about why we were getting married, implying I looked pregnant.
5. I was hosting Thanksgiving dinner and spent about seven to eight hours cooking. My MIL showed up with duplicate dishes of just about everything I made (we told her to only bring two dishes, tops). When I commented that we had a lot more food than I was expecting, she said "Well, we don't really need to put yours out, do we? Just put yours in the freezer."
6. My MIL keeps in regular contact with several of my husband's exes through Facebook and will call them with updates, despite him telling her to stop. She even tried to reunite my husband with one particular ex who had cheated on him.
7. My MIL wore a wedding dress to my wedding.
8. When asked how my husband was, where he works, etc., I overheard my MIL say, “Yes, Matthew met his wife and gave up all his dreams.” I wish I could make this stuff up.
9. My MIL told me in front of my own mother that I needed to have sex with her son seven days a week and I need to have an orgasm at least five days a week in order to get pregnant.
10. My ex-MIL dyed her hair to match mine and was obsessed with my chest size, to the point where she asked what size cup I was because she wanted an augmentation.
11. A week after I got married, my mother-in-law sent a letter saying she was so grateful she could pay for everything for us, then she listed it all, itemized.
12. After I married her son, my MIL posted a bunch of my wedding pictures with nasty comments. Things like, “the cake, which no one ate,” “the whole family, plus the bride,” “this is the only picture of the original six" (her and her kids). She posted all of it publicly on Facebook.
13. After I had my son, all I wanted was a beer. I wasn’t nursing or anything. My husband took a picture of me enjoying the beer and holding my son and she replied to the picture saying, "Mother of the year."
14. I was a bridesmaid in a wedding and my MIL said, “The bride did such a nice job choosing dresses because even YOU look good in this!” Hundreds of “compliments” like this followed through the years.
15. I was a first-time mom and worried about our cat smothering the baby, so I wrote a post on Facebook asking if anyone could take the cat on a temporary basis until the baby could roll. My MIL saw it and publicly posted on her Facebook that I was a horrible pet owner and unfriended me.
16. My ex-mother-in-law gave me a religious video about how women must learn to forgive after my ex-husband cheated on me.
17. While getting ready to eat at my ex-MIL's house, I went to grab a steak and my ex-MIL said, “No, not that one.” As I bit into the steak she gave me, it tasted funny. I took a few more bites and couldn’t eat anymore. My ex-MIL took my plate away and was very upset with me. Within about 20 minutes I was in the bathroom questioning if I had been purposefully given food poisoning.
18. At my sister-in-law's wedding, my 3-month-old son was having a really hard week. He started teething, got his second round of shots, and had a horrible allergic reaction to cradle cap shampoo. A midwife friend of mine was able to take him during the ceremony because I was a bridesmaid. She was finally able to calm him down by singing. After the wedding, my MIL walked up to us as I was taking my son back and said, "She's a lot better at this than you are."
19. I wanted a very small intimate wedding, so my fiancé and I planned on getting married and sending out a Christmas card next year with pictures, introducing us as a married couple. We specifically asked my in-laws not to tell a soul. At this year's Christmas, not only does MIL tell everyone our plans, but she also showed everyone pictures of my dress.
20. My MIL ruined my hand-made wedding invitations by cutting them to pieces and gluing them to little girl birthday invitations. I told her that, although I appreciated her effort, it did not match my theme and she needed to use the actual invitations. That caused WWIII. She told her whole family we cancelled our wedding and threw a family reunion the same day. Seven years later, still no apology.
21. While I was in the hospital giving birth to my son, my mother-in-law attempted to redecorate my house. She removed the art I had hanging on my walls and replaced it with art from her house. I came home with a newborn to see her thrift store crap hanging on my walls.
22. My MIL showed up to our room the night after our wedding at 5 a.m. and crashed our entire honeymoon!
23. My MIL got on her knees and begged me not to to marry her son...the night before our wedding.
24. My mother-in-law got mad at me for having my daughter while she was on vacation during the two weeks surrounding my due date.
25. My husband got an angry email from my MIL because we fed our 13-year-old kid salad.
Some submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.