A dog might be man's best friend, but how much do you really know about your best friend? We rounded up some interesting facts that you probably haven't heard before and that we guarantee will make your tail wag.
Maybe you've heard that dogs can only see in black and white — but did you know they can also see two other colors too? Keep scrolling to find out which ones (and much, much more).
If that wasn't motivating enough, you might see some cute puppy pics along the way. Just sayin'.
2. Pembroke Welsh corgis are revered for their enchanted nature and are known in Welsh folklore as companions and steeds to fairies.
8. Greyhounds are the world's fastest dog breeds, with the ability to reach speeds of 45 miles per hour.
17. Dogs instinctively curl up in a ball when they sleep to protect their vital organs and keep themselves warm.
19. Dogs are now capable of watching TV because of the invention of HDTV with higher frame rates. Before that, TV just looked like a strobe light to them.
27. A service dog named Kirsch received an honorary master's degree in mental health counseling for attending all of his owner's classes.
31. Dogs like rolling around in smelly things because, to them, that shit smells ~divine~.
32. The saluki, the oldest dog breed still existent today, has been hanging around humans since 329 BCE.
34. Some dogs, like the Newfoundland breed, have webbed feet.
35. They can gauge your emotion by listening to your voice.
36. Chinese nobles would hide Pekingese dogs in their sleeves as a form of attack.
37. Despite those puppy eyes, dogs feel no remorse.
38. If you're over 30, you were alive before every dog living in the world today.
39. There is a place on earth that, quite literally, looks like doggy heaven.
42. The name "pug" most likely came from the Latin word "pugnus," which means "fist," because the shadow of a fist resembles a pug's profile.
43. A dog once walked 2,800 miles through plains, desert, mountains, and rivers during the coldest part of winter to get back to his family.
44. Most French bulldogs' hips are too slim to deliver puppies, so their litters are almost always delivered via C-section.
45. A neuroimaging study revealed that dogs prioritize the smell of their humans over everything and anything else.
46. Doug the Pug, the world's most famous internet dog, has an estimated net worth of about $500,000.
47. Three border collies were once trained to run around Chilean forests wearing backpacks that released native plant seeds — this was an effort to try and rebuild areas devastated by wildfires.
50. Roselle, a guide dog, saved her blind owner during 9/11 by leading him out of the North Tower and down 78 flights of stairs.
51. There once existed a breed of dog called the Turnspit that was bred to run on a wheel to make meat turn and cook evenly.
52. Some 26,000-year-old canine paw prints were found fossilized next to those of a child, revealing the oldest evidence of dog being man's best friend.
54. A bloodhound joined a half-marathon after her owner let her out to pee. She ran the entire 13.1 miles and finished seventh.
55. If you leave your dog a piece of clothing that smells like you, the scent will comfort them and it can help curb their separation anxiety.
This article contains content from Syd Robinson, Krista Torres, Shayan Roy, and Kaelin Tully. It was compiled by Kelly Rissman.