2. Lauren Hammersley said on her blog that it started as a fun activity to brighten Hazel’s (her two-year-old diagnosed with neuroblastoma) day.
“Since we have been here for quite a while, we try to pass the time by doing fun and silly things for our precious 2-year old. One of these things happened to be my Mother and I putting a sign up in the window with medical tape reading: “SEND PIZZA RM 4112”. The nurses, doctors, other children and we all had a great time with it and thought it was just something to brighten someone’s day.”
3. Lauren goes on to say they didn’t expect anybody to respond to their sign.
“This sign was up for several days without even a single phone call asking to send up a pizza (which we completely expected!). [On Saturday], we were told that someone had taken a picture on the street of our sign, had posted it to Reddit.com and it had reached #1!! Then, someone ended up posting a link to our Blog, Facebook, and Donation Page, which then all went bananas!”
4. But once the photo was uploaded to Reddit, the pizza came pouring in!
“Hazel woke up from her nap to the smell of pizza and was so excited to chow down! Several other children and nurses came into the room, with music playing, and had themselves a wonderful Pizza Party. As of yesterday evening, there was more than 20 boxes delivered and more was coming! We had such a great time!”
5. So much pizza in fact, the hospital had to ask people to stop sending them.
From the LA Children’s Hospital website, “Thank you to the compassionate Reddit users who saw this photo and responded with a pizza delivery. If you’re on Reddit and have seen the adorable photo below, please help Children’s Hospital Los Angeles and patient mom, Lauren Hammersley spread the word: You’ve made a little girl very happy but NO MORE PIZZA IS NEEDED.”
6. Here’s Hazel and friends enjoying one of the 20+ pizzas that were delivered to them.
“We have been absolutely humbled and surprised by the outpouring of love and support from the online community and can only hope and pray that this brings awareness to Neuroblastoma and the Childhood Cancer Community. Awareness and funding is severely lacking, and to help get better treatments and outcomes for our children, we need all the support we can get! I truly felt that God used this wonderful day to help lift, not only our families’, but everyone on the 4th floor’s spirits. We all need a little hope up here.”
- DNC Day 2: Bill Clinton took the crowd down memory lane, and then Hillary broke through a virtual glass ceiling 💥
- An Australian teen who was subjected to detention abuse has written a letter thanking the public for its support.
- 🍎📉: Apple's business is declining due to slowing iPhone sales, but the company is still making a ton of money.