1. Sophie Caldecott’s father, Stratford Caldecott, was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2011.
“My dad has prostate cancer and has been told he has about 12 weeks left — he’s the biggest comic fan and I’m trying to get some of the cast of the Avengers to send me pics of themselves holding a sign like this one to surprise him. It would take 5 mins but mean the world to us! I wrote this blog post about it, please read and pass on.”
2. As Strat, a huge comic fan, moves into the final stages of the cancer, his daughter wanted to find a way make his last 12 weeks count.
(That’s Strat, second to the left, cosplaying as the infamous Tony Stark.)
3. So Sophie put out the call for the cast of Avengers to assemble — she wanted to surprise her dad with their messages of support and encouragement. And unsurprisingly, this amazing cast responded!
10. The agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. even got in on the action.
14. The response on Twitter has been overwhelming, with other Marvel fans tweeting in their support.
15. Marvel even got in on #CapForStrat by sending him a copy of “Winter Soldier” because he was too sick to see it in theaters.
16. In Sophie’s own words, “You are a bunch of real life superheroes, and I hope that the goodwill from this campaign will keep channeling in the right direction.”
“The reason dad has always loved comic heroes and why they are particularly relevant now in this situation is because they inspire hope, and encourage people to fight for the greater good. I think we’ve witnessed a bit of that child-like purity of spirit and good intentions over the past few days.”