1. Wait all Christmas for the ballot to open in January.
2. Freak out when a CONGRATULATIONS email arrives in your inbox.
3. Consider training...
4. Start training...
5. Think about nothing but training.
6. Instagram your running kit the night before.
7. Eat breakfast like an athlete.
8. Arrive at the start line and spend at least 20 minutes finding your assembly zone.
9. Visit the unofficial start line toilets more than once.
10. Queue up to get a glimpse of the honorary starter.
11. Sing "Oggy, Oggy, Oggy! Oi Oi Oi!"
12. Get a lump in your throat when you cross the Tyne Bridge.
13. Feel the lump get bigger when the Red Arrows fly over.
14. See at least one fancy dress costume that will haunt you for some time.
15. And one that’s so awesome you'll never look at fancy dress in the same way again.
16. Make friends with a stranger.
17. Encourage, or be encouraged by, a fellow runner
18. Consider picking up a pint of beer from the spectators at 11 miles
19. You're overtaken by a banana, a man carrying a fridge, or a celebrity.
20. High-five at least 25 children along the length of the course
21. Feel elated when you turn onto the South Shields seafront.
22. Debate whether to sprint finish or Mobot over the finish line.
23. You realise there's no phone signal at the finish line and you didn't set a meeting point.
24. Visit the huge charity village and wander aimlessly for 10 minutes trying to find your charity.
25. Hit the pubs in South Shields for a post-run celebratory drink.
26. Take a post-run selfie.
27. Have trouble walking down the stairs the next day.
28. Claim that you'll never do it again.
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!