32 Little DIY Projects That'll Go A Loooooong Way In Your Home
Nothin' a little paint, TLC, and a weekend can't spruce up.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. Replace the dingy, dusty ceiling fan currently occupying your space with a new modern option. Easily change the vibe of any room with this stunner.
Includes four LED vintage-style bulbs.
Promising review: "We absolutely LOVE the light/fan. The remote control allows us to vary the speed of the fan and brightness/dimming of the Edison lights. We needed something safe for the low ceiling on our covered patio. This works perfectly. Don’t let the small blades deter you. When on high it kicks out enough air to cover the entire patio area." —karen mcnamara
Get it from Amazon for $209.74.
2. Create a fun design anywhere you want a statement by using a wall or floor stencil and some paint. Why does my laundry room not look like this...?
Promising review: "Great stencil that comes out amazing when done!!! My only recommendation would be to wash your stencil frequently as you use it or the pint builds up and causes the paint to bleed under the stencil a bit. Overall easy to use and looks beautiful!!" —KSerrano
Get it from Amazon for $9.99 (available in 16 designs).
3. Get creative with removable botanical wallpaper beyond just covering an entire wall. Use it in framed paneling (ahem, product #1 in this list!!!) or as the backdrop for your closet shelves like some chic designer store.
One roll measures 20.5"x18' and covers about 30.75 square feet.
Promising review: "This wallpaper is not sticky, it is tacky. That’s what allows it to be removed without damaging the wall. I was able to reposition it once or twice on a freshly painted eggshell finish wall. I think people who are having issues with it falling down are either putting it on flat paint or a dirty wall. Make sure to wash off your wall before trying to put this up otherwise it will just stick to the dust then fall off. I found the pattern easy to line up, it repeats perfectly. The background of the print almost makes it look like it is made from linen." —C. Schaffer
Get it from Amazon for $30.30+ (available in blue and green).
4. Hang a new chandelier — like this COOL pick — to bring some funky mid-mod energy into your dining room. Something this fun will become an instant focal point, or in other words, be a super easy way to give a room an entirely new personality.
Promising review: "This turned out to be a great purchase. I had seen similar lights for much more money. I was trying to coordinate this light with some others I had in my house and this was perfect. As the vendor states, it can hang from a sloped ceiling. I needed to customize the down rod and the vendor answered my email the same day and shipped a longer rod immediately. I also broke a globe and they shipped me two! I am very happy with the vendor and my light." —Laura E. West
Get it from Amazon for $159.99+ (available in five colors).
5. Try your hand at a cabinet painting kit, because a paint refresh is muuuuuuuch cheaper than ripping your cabinets out and replacing with new ones. A little TLC will do 'em good.
Includes two 31-oz. cans of Nuvo cabinet paint, one roller arm, two roller covers, two-inch angled paint brush. Each covers 100 square feet of cabinet surface.
Promising review: "This product was super easy to use. We went with the tips in the reviews and bought nicer foam rollers specifically for cabinets and I’m so happy I did, it made it so we barely had to use a brush because of how the foam rolls over the side. We also took the doors and handles off, which I recommend also. It definitely wouldn’t have turned out as nice if we left them on.
This took four coats and five in the larger areas (i.e. next to the fridge, etc). Our kitchen took two kits, but well worth it and still way cheaper than the quotes that we got from professionals. It totally changes the feel of the kitchen and it looks SO MUCH BRIGHTER! I would say give yourself a few days to knock this out as it took us several nights to finish. But would highly recommend." —TJ Sarnese
6. And! Swap out your pulls for some gold ones that'll add an undeniably fancy charm to them, whether you install them on kitchen cabinets or a wardrobe dresser.
Promising review: "If you have any doubts in your mind about these handle pulls.... don't!!! They are absolutely stunning in person. They are heavy and have a lux weighted feel and look to them. The brushed brass gleams the perfect amount. I truly get so happy every time I walk into my kitchen. These handle pulls make it magnificent. They're like jewelry for your kitchen. I couldn't be happier with them." —Ravi S
Get a set of 10 five-inch pulls from Amazon for $46.95
7. Add some pizzazz and depth to big empty walls with pre-made wall panels. With these, you can achieve the professional molding look everyone is mastering on TikTok with even *less* work. Just a little nail gun action and some glue (OK, and some measuring), and you'll have this look in no time.
Reviewers attached these in different ways, with some just using mounting tape in apartments for no damage to walls. Others installed them on doors and kitchen islands!
Promising review: "Moved into an apartment with an ugly old plain front door that has seen better days. Since I cannot replace the door I decided to spruce it up, and these frame pieces are going to do the trick. They can be nailed or glued on, and then I have some colorful paint to cover them and the door...making the door look like it always was an upscale door with panels. I am happy with this purchase." —tj44
Get a single panel from Amazon starting at $12.99 (available in sets and tons of sizes).
8. Go fancy with peel-and-stick wallpaper (this Mediterranean-esque pick is a great choice) and give yourself the upgrade you've been wanting for a fraction of the price. This on stairs? I never would of thought but now I need immediately.
Promising review: "The paper of my dreams! Thick, easy to install, VERY forgiving pattern, and I was able to pull off and reposition several times with no loss of stickiness. Can’t say enough good things! Not even a bad smell like I was expecting after reading other reviews. One roll covered my entire set of stair risers with exactly the right amount and a very tiny strip leftover. Posting a before and after so you can be amazed at the transformation like I was. The results are just what I was hoping for and more." —BwHow
Get a roll (measures 198" x 20.5") from Amazon for $25.30+ (available in three colors).
9. Go beyond just a light fixture and add a ceiling medallion that'll bring some major royal energy. I am pretty sure everyone danced under ceiling medallions in the many balls of Bridgerton...
Lots of reviewers painted it!
Promising review: "These medallions were much prettier than I expected, and were super smooth for reception of paint. It took me a few days to decide the color placement and style, as they will be in rooms that are visible to one another. Pre-colored medallions are crazy expensive, doing it myself saved me money I used to upgrade my chandeliers." —Cris
Get it from Amazon for $57.69 (available in 41 colors).
10. Use stick-on lights to add some major va-va-voom to your cabinets. These in your kitchen, pantry, bathroom — a simple yet impactful upgrade.
Includes a remote that can adjust the brightness.
Promising review "This is a wonderful product; just what I wanted. Super easy to install and I love that it breaks off into sections so you don’t have any hanging over to hide. The remote is awesome and there are lots of brightness settings. I’m going to use these everywhere!" —Queen Halloween
Get the six-piece kit from Amazon for $20.99 (available in two light colors).
11. Hang cage pendant lights above your bathroom sinks, nightstands, or really anywhere in your house that could use a little extra light (and charm!).
The cord measures 4.9 feet. Does not include bulbs, but you can get a set of compatible Edison bulbs here.
Promising review: "This little light is perfect for extra/accent lighting! I’m very impressed with the quality of the metal cage, and it didn’t take more than 10 minutes to install. We needed it to be shorter in order to fit in the space we wanted it, so we just trimmed the wire to our desired length. We’re very pleased with our purchase!" —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $28.89 each.
12. And! Install a very handy recessed light conversion kit that'll actually allow you to hang said pendant lights.
Promising review: "I recently installed three of these to convert can lights into track lights and they worked perfectly. After I installed the first one, which took about 20 minutes, the other two went in in about 10 minutes each. The finished product looks great. The medallions look good on my ceiling. The base of the track lights fit into them perfectly. You could also not use the medallions if the base of your fixture is large enough to cover the can light. This is a quick and easy way to convert lights." —Earth Spirits
Get it from Amazon for $19.32.
13. Restore your deck and fence to their former glory with a pressure wash. This powerful washer generates up to 2030 PSI to tackle tough jobs like deck, house, driveway cleanings with years of built-up dirt and debris.
Promising review: "This thing is great but insanely addictive. My neighbors would rate this 0 stars because I'm running this bad boy at all hours. Car wash at 4am? You bet. Hose out the garage and all down the driveway? Consider it done. Neighbors dog won't stop barking? Aim and squeeze. There's no longer any paint on my house, the layers of dirt from when dinosaurs walked the earth has been removed from every crack of concrete and the stubborn moss that engulfed my front steps has been screaming "no more daddy!" for days now. I'm a ruthless power washing machine now. It has become a part of me. I dream about it every night. Now I'm just figuring a way to power clean my putrid, filthy soul." —10%contained
Get it from Amazon for $159.
14. And then don't forget to stain and steal! Adding a sealant (like this semi-transparent one pictured!) will protect the wood from the elements, while bringing back the vibrance of your deck.
Promising review: "This was recommended to me by a guy who sold us redwood boards from his mill. It went on easily and it looks gorgeous! I stained a fence and two decks in the last three years and this product is far superior right off the bat. Love the richness of the color and the wood is soaking it up consistently." —I Know Jack
Get a 1-gallon can from Amazon for $29.99 (available in six stain colors).
15. Switch things up on the exterior by giving your front door a fresh coat of paint. Go bold with a vibrant color, or just refresh any dullness with a neutral.
Promising review: "Excellent product. Very easy to use. We were able to paint our front door with two coats and be finished all in one day. The product is a very thick consistency that doesn't cause it to drip, run, splatter, or ruin your paint brushes. And there is very little prep work and clean up." —Jay
Get it from Amazon for $36.57 (available in 29 colors).
16. Utilize that 6x6-foot slab in the backyard by adding a three-piece outdoor bistro set that comes with two chairs and matching table (and glass top!). This boho-meets-modern set is peeerfect for small patios!
Promising review: "Exactly what I was looking for. Construction seems sturdy. Dimensions and style were perfect for the small patio space I was looking to get use out of, and the egg shape of the chairs is very comfortable. I paired them with a seagrass outdoor rug, faux fur chair pads, a beanbag style poof footstool and some boho throw pillows, and love how the space was instantly transformed. I highly recommend this set." —Baby blues
Get it from Amazon for $219.99 (available in three colors).
17. Create some much-needed privacy *and* whimsical light with some easy-to-install frosted film. When the light shines through, it'll make a pretty rainbow hue that is kitty approved!
Promising review: "I was looking for privacy film for our windows but came across this and ended up buying it instead. I have it installed on the window in my bathroom. Super great for pictures and really pretty in general when the suns shines through!" —Myriah Kirtman
Get it from Amazon for $7.50+ (available in nine sizes).
18. Use sheer curtains to heighten any room while also brightening up the space. Toss those heavy linens and just peep this living room! *Swoons.*
Promising review: "I LOVE THESE! I was looking for something to brighten my apartment up and to make it feel bigger. I’m so, so, so glad I decided to go with these! I was so scared while opening them. I ordered four white 95-inch sets. I just threw them in the dryer for two to three minutes to de-wrinkle them and hung them. These are amazingly cheap for how nice they are! Definitely makes my apartment feel like HOME. I would recommend these to anyone." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $13.99+ (available in 11 sizes and 22 colors).
19. Install interlocking Teak tiles to transport your backyard, bathroom, truly any flooring to some tropical getaway. Oh, it's just your shower? Feels like a dang spa to me!
Promising review: "Living in Hawaii you have to select wise items that are weather-, salt-, and red dirt–proof, etc... In total I ordered 11 boxes to complete my yoga deck. I have a few left over to make steps on the back. Very pleased and happy. May order more for an outdoor shower project!" —Adazzle
Get 10 sq. ft from Amazon for $77.99.
20. Bring in some color and personality with a statement-making decal. It'll happily take the place of the headboard you've had since you were a teenager. Does it get any easier than sticking something to a wall?
This cute small business, based in Black Rock, Connecticut, creates stunning wall murals and decals, plus event signs and more.
Promising review: "AMAZING!! I have trouble seeing shades of grey, particularly on computer screens, but the shop owner kindly worked with me developing this custom piece. She was so patient and kind, because it took a few mock ups. I really appreciated her willingness to work with me and help me achieve the look I wanted. I can't thank her enough, you won't regret working with her." —GitaJafar
21. Put your trust in some good ol' peel-and-stick subway tile for a much easier kitchen or bathroom transformation than figuring out how to tile a wall. No thank you.
Promising review: "I love everything about these tiles! The way they look, the way they feel, the way they are cleaned...it's all so easy. It looks and feels like real tile. The only thing hard about the application is sitting still for that long to make sure all the lines and tiles line up. We found that two people doing it together was the best way. Start at the bottom and only peel back the bottom later and stick on the wall in the perfect spot. Then pull the backing away from the bottom - up, using a credit card to smooth each row of tiles as they stick. It looks so seamless! I can't say enough about how awesome these tiles are. I was SUPER skeptical and very worried about trying this, but it turned out great and kept us WAY under budget for our kitchen reno. Great Product!" —Giuliana Alcala
Get a 12"x12" sheet from Amazon for $28.89 (available in five colors and more styles/colors here).
22. Get some garage magnets that you literally stick to the door for the world's easiest transformation. You might not believe it's your garage door when you're finished adding these!
23. Breathe new life into dated countertops with a stone-effect spray paint. Now you can skip the entire buying an expensive new countertop for your bathroom part.
Promising review: "We recently purchased a new home, and we're not gutting our main bathroom until next summer, but I just couldn't live with that 1980s green another day. So after reading a lot of tutorials, I decided to go for it and paint the counter. I LOVE how it came out! Once it was dry for 24 hours, I applied several coats of poly and let it sit for 72 hours before I let the counter go back into normal use. It's held up like a dream." —Mistella
This reviewer left a super in-depth review, so check out the rest of it here for their tips and tricks.
Get it from Amazon for $12.99 (available in five colors).
24. Cool down your backyard and hang up a sail canopy. Ahh, time to go sit down under your fancy new shade with a *cracks can* crisp, cold bevvy.
Promising review: "This shade sale worked perfectly to provide morning and afternoon shade and looks fabulous. I like that the way the design looks. It was easy to install, and has held up to the monsoons of summer quite well. I am purchasing another one for the horse pen! I give 5 stars." —Laura P.
Get it from Amazon for $36.99+ (available in seven sizes and 13 colors/prints).
25. Use a brick whitewash paint if you've been wanting a modern farmhouse vibe, but your current situation is screaming more '70s with its brown and yellow color palette.
Promising review: "This is amazing!!!!! It looks like a different fireplace. I have been looking at a horrible grout repair that the previous owners did for 20 years. I did this in about two hours!!!!!! This product is fast, it's easy to use, easy to clean up, and inexpensive." —Denise
Get a pint from Amazon for $24.95.
26. Grab some marble contact paper and go to town with it. Really — you can use this to transform countertops, furniture, picture frames, and the list goes on (and on...).
Promising review: "I used a little more than one roll for a quick makeover on an ugly fireplace in a rental apartment. It's easy to cover the tiles with the film. It makes a huge difference for minimal effort/price." —Zhen
Get it from Amazon for $11.64+ (available in multiple sizes).
Learn more in our full write-up: This Marble Contact Paper Will Make Cheap Furniture Look Like It's From West Elm
27. Or for something more textured, try this gray and black crocodile peel-and-stick wallpaper to deliver some funky subtle depth to walls and furniture alike. I see many fabulous DIY projects in your future.
Animal print not your passion? You can also grab a solid color version if that's your taste.
Promising review: "This wallpaper has all the looks of expensive, sexy wallpaper without the high price. I used it to cover a simple dresser which I also purchased through Amazon (pictured above, left). The wallpaper is strong and has a great texture to it. I would recommend this wallpaper to anyone. This is not a true deep black if you're looking for that. It definitely have a lot of gray tones in it." —Jake Strickland
Get it from Amazon for $49.99.
28. Bring some warmth to your patio space with a durable patterned outdoor rug. How do you leave a backyard like this?! How!
29. And add outdoor sconces for some modern ~ambience~. So suave.
Promising review: "All we can say is WOW! These lights surpassed our expectations! You could buy other similar lights for a lower price, but these are high quality and worth what we paid. The material is heavy duty, great casing to handle weathering. A breeze to install, we had three lights done within an hour with no issues. The look is modern, clean. Would highly recommend!" —Ruth B.
Get it from Amazon for $71.99 each (available in black and white and two styles).
30. Give those bare walls some some life with macrame tapestry like this one, made with beautiful shades of greens to embody the mountains in Colorado. If you've been staring at that empty area in your living room for months with no clue on what to do with it, well, here ya go.
Thread & Thyme is a woman-owned small business creating gorgeous, handmade macrame decor and tapestries. Their shop is filled with tons of incredible pieces, so make sure you check out their full Etsy shop if you want to see more!
Promising review: "Beautiful colors and craftsmanship. I’m already obsessed with how this piece adds a new dimension of decor to my living room. Can’t recommend it enough!" —Kim Renfo
31. Up your bathroom game with a stainless-steel rainfall shower head that'll take your plain and simple shower to bougie and spa-level. One little tweak with greeeeat reward.
Promising review: "This is a beautiful shower head, very thin, but feels quite sturdy and heavy. Installation took no more than five minutes. The shower head has a very smooth, highly polished, mirror-like chrome finish. It gives a satisfying showering experience without wasting too much water. Absolutely no leaks whatsoever. Everybody in our family said they liked it. What else is there to say about a shower head?" —Sadda Reddy
Get it from Amazon for $45.31+ (available in three sizes and two finishes).