1. THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy
Wildlife is extinct, the sky is gray ash, and there are hordes of cannibals roaming the land. But a nameless man and his young son manage to trudge on and hope for survival.
2. THE EYE OF GOD by James Rollins
After a research satellite crashes to earth and scientists identify a set of meteors that are set to do the same, this thriller sets up an impending apocalypse. All we have to say is that if the end of the world is upon us, we want Sigma Force on our side.
3. THE STAND by Stephen King
Even in 1978, great novelists wrote stories about the end of the world. How does King’s vision compare to the apocalyptic novels being written now?
4. THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GUIDE by Max Brooks
Should there be zombies in your post-apocalyptic world, you’ll definitely want to snag this handy survival guide. Keep it in the tornado shelter with your canned goods and bottled water.
5. AFTERTIME by Sophie Littlefield
What do you do if you’re separated from your family during a zombie apocalypse? According to Littlefield, sharpen your fighting skills, team up with an outlaw, and head out into the bleak landscape to find them.
6. ROBOPOCALYPSE by Daniel H. Wilson
Besides zombies and meteors, robots are another threat to our humanity. Read this to find out what to do if your technology turns against you.
7. I AM LEGEND by Richard Matheson
Robert Neville is the only one left who witnessed the end of the world brought about by a vampire virus. The apocalypse can be very lonely but much like this character, you may find that there is still hope. Oh, and maybe check out the multiple movie versions since there is plenty of time to kill if you’re the last person on earth.
8. THE WAR OF THE WORLDS by H.G. Wells
It’s safe to assume if martians crash into our earth with robotic machines manufactured for destruction, the world as we know it is probably at an end. The book created mass hysteria when it was read by Orson Welles over the radio in 1938. Read this book and consider how much we still don’t know about the universe.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Immigrants are worried two government memos are laying the groundwork for the deportation force Trump promised on the campaign trail.
- A US federal judge ruled that Texas can't cut Planned Parenthood out of its Medicaid program.
- According to the World Bank, a child born in 2014, on average, will live for more than 71 years.
- A 2-year-old boy lost a race at school after he spotted his dad and ran to hug him instead of crossing the finish line 👦💨💞