According to NPR, the upcoming edition of the the American Psychiatric Association’s DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) will put “pathological grooming” in the same category as obsessive compulsive disorder. Pathological grooming includes nail biting, hair pulling, and skin picking.
Previously, these were in a category called “not otherwise classified”. The new proposal puts obsessive grooming in the same category of obsessive compulsive behavior along with other things like hoarding and body dysmorphia disorders.
Bad news for me, since I’ve always had some sort of nervous habit that I thought was perfectly normal.
2. I’m a cuticle biter (ew)
My actual gross middle finger (please excuse chipped nail polish).
4. What kind of bad habits do you have?
Add yours in the comments!
- Trump may have initially blamed Democrats for Friday's failed health care bill, but it took only 2 days for him to start blaming Republicans, too.
- A vandal allegedly smashed glass and threw a bible into a Colorado mosque on Sunday morning.
- South Korean prosecutors have reportedly asked a judge to issue an arrest warrant for former President Park Geun-hye.
- And Muslims in Birmingham told BuzzFeed News what it's like in the city that finds itself under the spotlight because of the murderous actions of London attacker Khalid Masood.