According to NPR, the upcoming edition of the the American Psychiatric Association’s DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) will put “pathological grooming” in the same category as obsessive compulsive disorder. Pathological grooming includes nail biting, hair pulling, and skin picking.
Previously, these were in a category called “not otherwise classified”. The new proposal puts obsessive grooming in the same category of obsessive compulsive behavior along with other things like hoarding and body dysmorphia disorders.
Bad news for me, since I’ve always had some sort of nervous habit that I thought was perfectly normal.
2. I’m a cuticle biter (ew)
My actual gross middle finger (please excuse chipped nail polish).
4. What kind of bad habits do you have?
Add yours in the comments!
- Big changes to Medicare are taking a backseat as Donald Trump and GOP leaders have opposing views on the hot-button issue.
- Facebook scammers are profiting from pipeline protesters at Standing Rock by stealing Native American artwork.
- The pilot of the jet carrying a Brazilian soccer team chose to skip a refuel stop before crashing in Colombia, killing 71 people.
- Mall of America, the largest mall in the country, is hosting its first ever black Santa 🎅🏿