Eight Qualities that Would Make Brene Brown an Awesome Presidential Candidate
I have never met you and know nothing of your politics or party affiliation, and I have no idea what your views are on the economy or climate change. But I have read your books and watched your TED talks and even taken your online classes. And because like most people I know, I am less than enthused about our potential 2016 US Presidential candidates – I made a list of the qualities I want in a POTUS – and guess what? You'd be an awesome President. And not just because your bumper stickers could be super catchy – like, "Daring Greatly for our Country's Future" or "Rising Strong Again." Inspiring slogans aside, here are eight top qualities that your possess that would make you an awesome president.
1. You are Wicked Smart about Human Behavior: You are a world-class researcher, speaker and thinker on human behavior with insights into building trust, creating connections and leading with courage and compassion. A PHd and scientist/social worker combo– you got the skills to work both sides of the brain big time. I want a POTUS that can interpret data and facts to recognize trends, see patterns and make sound judgments and decisions—while equally considering compassion and human kindness. You got both. Bam!
2. You are Humble and Vulnerable Enough to Ask for Help: You have taught millions of people around the world to live wholeheartedly by having the "courage to be imperfect" – including yourself. Your books, classes and TED talks show you can lead with confidence while being vulnerable enough to ask for help– because let's be honest, how can one person pretend to know it all! No doubt you would surround yourself with a diverse and talented team that could help you – and you would let them while still inspiring confidence in the American people.
3. You Are Not a Blamer or a Hater: You did the research that shows that blaming and hating are by-products of fear and shame - and you have made it your life's work to teach people to have the courage to DARE GREATLY in facing those fears and overcoming shame so they can embrace life fully. How awesome it would be to have a presidential front-runner that would not be a blamer or hater? Can I hear an Amen?
4. You Help People Create a New and Better Path: You teach people to LIVE BRAVELY and that the way to overcome life's inevitable setbacks is to not to finger point, but to own your life, coming out the other side stronger, wiser and better for the struggle. You offer not just hope, but you give people evidence-based, science-backed tools to create a new and better path. Isn't that what the disheartened American people really want? Instead of voting with their middle-finger, I think people would vote for HOPE.
5. You Understand that Trust is Essential to Leadership: You get trust – in fact, your "Anatomy of Trust" class teaches people how to build trusting relationships, trusting organizations and most importantly, trust in themselves. You understand that trust is the cornerstone of leadership, and as President, I have no doubt that you would actually listen to the all sides of the argument, working to build relationships across the divide. Can we even remember what the United in USA feels like?
6. You Are a Bridge Builder: You wouldn't be afraid to collaborate with someone just because they had a different viewpoint from yours, and you would be brave enough to find common ground with the opposing party, different countries, and various religions - because you understand that we are all more alike than we are different and finding common ground is where true progress begins. Wouldn't that be refreshing!
7. You Are Self-Aware, Reflective, Honest, Decent, Civil, And Charismatic: You have the whole package – you are thoughtful with your words and actions in an honest and authentic way– not to mention that you could host SNL and make Colbert laugh. Because when you talk – people listen. Millions of them.
8. You Can Start a Revolution for the Broken-Hearted: Many Americans are feeling defeated and broken-hearted. Your campaign could restore hope for the downtrodden, just as your manifesto for RISING STRONG states: "There is no greater threat to the critics and cynics and fear mongers, Than those of us who are willing to fall, Because we have learned how to rise." All I can say is WOW. Under your leadership and inspiration, American would Rise Again.
So, Brene, if you are willing, I know lots of people just like me that are discouraged by the harsh, divisive, dishonest and disrespectful name-calling words the candidates use- words that discount all we teach our kids about respect, inclusivity, civility and kindness. Many like me would welcome your leadership. And I bet that Oprah would back your campaign…and she's got more money than Trump.
With courage and respect,
Katie Dorn, Counselor, Mother of 7, Minneapolis, MN