1. Steven Ells, Chipotle’s founder, started the first restaurant as a way to fund his dream of opening a fine-dining restaurant.
The first restaurant opened on July 13, 1993 in Denver, Colo. Fortunately for us, his small taqueria started to make a ton of money and the rest, as they say, is burrito history.
11. The company’s “Food With Integrity” philosophy was created after owner Steven Ells read an article by writer Edward Behr.
This prompted Ells to visit Confined Animal Feeding Operations, or CAFO, where he saw that the “animals were suffering, raised in giant buildings with no access to the outside, no fresh air.” Now, “whenever possible,” they use suppliers who do not use added hormones or antibiotics and who treat their animals with dignity.
14. The chain decided not to sponsor a Boy Scouts of America event because it violated the company’s non-discrimination policy.
This was due to the BSA’s policy at the time of not allowing openly gay youths to be involved in the organization.
That stance has since changed, but the inclusion of openly gay scout leaders is still yet to come.
15. One of the not-so-secret menu items you can ask for nicely are nachos.
17. And if you’re super duper nice, you can order a quesarito, which is a burrito wrapped in a FREAKIN’ QUESADILLA!
- President Trump has given House Republicans an ultimatum: Pass their health care bill Friday or he will move on to other issues.
- FBI agents posed as filmmakers to talk to armed militia during a standoff in Nevada, then used the footage against two men on trial in federal court.
- The suspect in the London terror attack near Parliament, who was killed by police, has been identified as 52-year-old Khalid Masood.
- Donald Trump had a photo op in a semitruck. The photos were too good not to become a meme — and the internet delivered 🚛👍