13 Amazing Real-Life Castles You Can Actually Stay In
Live out your Beauty and the Beast dreams.
1. Dalhousie Castle in Edinburgh, Scotland, was originally built by a notorious pirate and is Scotland's oldest inhabited castle.
It's just a 13th century castle, nbd.
For real though, Dalhousie Castle boasts an aqueous spa and a DUNGEON DINING ROOM. The inner walls of the castle date back to 1280. And oh, you can opt to take falconry lessons while you stay there if you want.
Rooms start at around $110. Find out more about staying at Dalhousie Castle here.
3. Castel Pergine, in Trento, Italy, offers 13th century rustic charm.
The castle hosts a rotating art exhibition seven months out of the year, and while the rooms may err on the more rustic side, they do provide a more authentic glimpse into medieval life — if you're into that sort of thing.
Rooms start at $73. Find out more here.
5. Castello di Ripa d'Oricia is a medieval castle hidden in the middle of Tuscany.
The castle's owners think it was likely originally built in the Middle Ages — and it's now both a hotel and a working winery that also produces its own olive oil. DOUBLE WIN!
Rooms start at $95. Find out more about this beautiful Tuscan castle here.
7. You could also rent Castle Sédaiges, in Marmanhac, France. It's covered in gorgeous moss and sleeps up to 25 people.
This castle dates back to the 1300s, but has been modernized to include a pool and banquet hall that can accommodate 160 people, just in case you wanna throw a big party or wedding or something.
You can rent the whole thing starting at $995 a night. Find out more here.
8. For a more ~intimate~ castle experience, there's Castello di Montegiove in Umbria, Italy.
The three bedroom castle is actually a 13th century olive mill, but with cool modern amenities like a beautiful infinity pool. While staying there you can do fun things like HUNT TRUFFLES and hang out at the on-site WINERY. What else do you wanna do in life?
You can rent out the entire castle for $275 a night and there is a minimum stay of seven nights. Find out more here.
9. How about something even MORE intimate? This is Peter's castle in Galway County, Ireland.
The owner, Peter, has been lovingly restoring this keep back to its medieval glory for the past several years. As he notes, "Remember, this is a castle that is over 600 years old. That means it's not perfect. Castles were never designed with bathrooms and showers, so we've improvised."
Still, pretty cool.
Rates start at $143 a night. Find out more here.
10. Dairsie Castle, near Edinburgh, Scotland, was originally built in the 12th century.
But then it was destroyed and rebuilt in the 19th century, and now includes six bedrooms and its very own art gallery. There's also an apple orchard and an herb garden on the grounds.
You can rent out the entire castle starting at $711 a night. Find out more here.