1. Skip the coffee table and use cute ottomans instead. They'll double as extra seating when you need 'em.
2. Rather than buying a bulky night table, use a step stool instead.
3. Use neutral colors and similar colors to create an optical illusion of spaciousness.
4. Horizontal stripes can help make a room feel wider.
5. Skip a headboard — use a bookcase that'll double as a headboard instead.
6. Why hang only one row of hooks when you could hang two?
7. Save floor space by hanging lighting from the ceiling!
8. If you don't have much room, go for a round table over a square one. They can easily fit into corners if you need 'em to.
9. Sometimes you can find unexpected spaces — like a closet, or a landing — to put a desk or work area.
If you're short on square footage, think creatively about how to use the space you've got. What are some typically undervalued home areas — like hallways, landings, and closets — that could be repurposed into active spaces?
10. OMG, YOU GUYS, THESE DIAGONAL DRAWERS!
11. Employ mirrors to give the illusion of more space.
For optimal ~space enhancing~, place your mirror on a wall adjacent to, not opposite, your windows.
12. And if you can swing it, use a full-height mirror to really add space to a room and give the illusion of higher ceilings.
13. If you can't build out, build up!
Think about ways you can use the vertical space if no horizontal square footage is available.