2. The three recently collaborated on a bangin’ new version of Beyoncé’s “Flawless.”
3. Their aim? To let women know that there’s more than one ideal body, one ideal vision of beauty and that “you don’t have to be a certain size to claim your flawlessness.”
It’s pointed that as Fresh, Aboulhosn, and Munster dance around, the words of writer and feminist Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie can be heard in Beyoncé’s original song: “We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller,” she says. “We say to girls,’ you can have ambition, but not too much. You should aim to be successful, but not too successful…’”
Women are told to shrink both physically, to fit some kind of unattainable notion of perfection, and are similarly given confined social roles to aspire to. The two, not surprisingly, go hand in hand.
4. For Gabi, making the video was also personal.
“As a fat woman of color, I’m often treated differently than my thin, white peers. By brands, by fellow bloggers, by the media… I get passed over for things I’m more than qualified for,” she wrote on her blog. “I get stares and cold shoulders at fashion events. I hear whispers. I get hate mail and trolling comments from people who call me disgusting and say I shouldn’t be allowed in public. Like Bey, I usually just brush these people off, and I never give them power by addressing them here or anywhere else. But it gets tiring, and sometimes I’m really tempted to drop the lady-like thing and just kind of…go off. So when I heard Beyonce telling her haters to Bow Down in the song ‘Flawless,’ I immediately fell in love.”
5. The women hope they can encourage others to stand up to the status quo.
“This video is dedicated to the mainstream media, to the fashion industry, to internet bullies, and to anyone else who thinks it’s their right to try to make us feel less than because of their insecurities. #everyBODYisflawless”
- Thousands have made it to the Women's March on Washington to stand up for women's rights and protest Donald Trump.
- Crowds for the Women's March in Washington, DC, are turning out to be much larger than for the inauguration so far.
- People are participating in the Women's March today all the way in Antarctica, surrounded by penguins ❄️
- "We shall overcomb." People across America are getting creative and making some pretty epic signs for the Women's March.