2. That place in Brooklyn with the awesome rainbow bagels everyone’s been going nuts over?
Rainbow bagels took the internet by storm when Business Insider released a video of the mesmerizingly colorful bagel-making process.
3. Since then, lines have reached Cronut-line levels.
4. And wait times have been nothing short of insane.
5. Well, it seems the hype got too big to handle, because The Bagel Store has shut down.
The shop originally said it would be temporarily closed for renovations but on Feb. 16 it announced that its Bedford Avenue location would be “closed indefinitely.”
Francine LaBarbara, The Bagel Store’s marketing coordinator, told BuzzFeed that it hopes to reopen “within the next couple of days” once the store is better prepared for the high demand.
6. Online orders have also been halted.
LaBarbara said they received over 1,000 orders.
“We can only ship so many a day,” she said.
7. Fortunately, its Metropolitan Avenue location remains open.
LaBarbara said the store’s mom-and-pop nature is what makes it so special. It’s also what makes satisfying such a large influx of customers so difficult.
8. “It’s not a mass production, and that’s what the beauty and specialty of it is,” said LaBarbara.
In fact, it’s just about the opposite of a mass production. Scot Rossillo, the store’s owner and head baker, individually hand-rolls every bagel with only a few other bakers. Sometimes, he and LaBarbara will carpool home together and personally deliver orders to Brooklyn residents.
“It’s a labor of love for Scot. He just loves to create, and he won’t do anything to jeopardize the integrity of his product,” said LaBarbara.
- Donald Trump was sworn in as the 45th president of the United States of America. 🇺🇸
- Anti-Trump rioters and police are clashing throughout Washington, DC, during the inauguration. Cars and storefronts have been vandalized, and police have used pepper spray.
- US officials didn't know drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán was being extradited from Mexico to the United States until the day it happened.
- And as many as eight survivors have been found after a deadly avalanche buried a hotel in Italy.