9 Reasons Why Librarians Are Awesome
In celebration of National Library Week (4/13-4/19), here is an homage to a group of greatly misunderstood and underappreciated professionals.
"The Mean Shusher."
What people usually envision when they think of a librarian.
Or the "Naughty Librarian."
Again, another wild misunderstanding.
Tammy (Parks & Rec) didn't make it any easier for us.
But throw away those pre-conceived notions...
1. Librarians are relaxed!
But you might ask, aren't librarians irrelevant now?
2. The Library & Information Science field is evolving.
3. Special Librarians can also work for museums, law offices, and even orchestras!
Along with large corporations, hospitals, etc.
There's even such a thing as a "Wine Librarian."
Best job ever? Read more about wine libraries here.
4. Librarians can be fun!
5. Librarians are super creative - in our book displays...
It's our craft.
6. And our programs.
7. Librarians can be superheroes.
Flynn Carsen (Noah Wyle) as THE Librarian
The Glorious Rupert Giles from Buffy
And best of all, Barbara Gordon/Batgirl!
8. Some of our favorite authors were librarians.
Along with Marcel Proust, Madeleine L’Engle, Joanna Cole (The Magic School Bus Series), and Jacob Grimm (Grimms’ Fairy Tales).
9. But most importantly, librarians make a difference.
So less of this.
And more of this.
Because even Colbert knows
Librarians are awesome.