This summer might not hold the record for hate crimes or domestic terrorism, but it certainly feels like there’s another tragic shooting or near-fatal attack every few days. By one count, there have been 247 “hate incidents” in the first half of this year, putting us on track to beat 2011’s total count (316).
From religious halls to private homes, these attacks have weaved in and out of media consciousness for weeks. Here, the targets of this dark summer.
3. July 22: A lesbian in Nebraska
Charlie Rogers didn’t just have her home broken into by a group of masked men. They bound her and carved anti-gay slurs into her skin. Then they set her house on fire with her still inside. She escaped.
Elsewhere in the country, two teenage lesbians were shot. One died.
4. Aug. 5: A Sikh temple
Six people died after a suspected white supremacist opened fire on a Sunday service.
7. Aug. 15: A conservative Christian group
A security guard at the Family Research Council was injured after taking down a shooter who was a volunteer at an LGBT center. The suspect was carrying a 9mm pistol, two loaded magazines, 50 rounds of ammunition and 15 Chick-fil-A sandwiches. No one died.
That’s not all this summer brought. These attacks by unhinged men weren’t domestic terrorism, but they were among a bloody season’s bloodiest incidents:
10. July 20: A Colorado movie theater
Suspected shooter James Holmes killed 12 and injured 58 others when he opened fire on a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colo.
11. Aug. 13: A Texas street
Thomas Alton Caffall III fired gunshots outside the home he had just been evicted from. After killing two, he was killed by police gunfire.
- Confused refugees question what's next as French authorities begin to clear out the Calais "Jungle" camp.
- Donald Trump keeps questioning polls and insisting he's winning — even as most show him behind nationally.
- Obamacare premiums will jump an average 25% in 2017, but officials say subsidies will keep costs low for most people.
- These parents came up with maybe the best dirty Halloween couple's costume ever. Parents ftw 😂👏