10 Things You Didn't Know About National Lampoon's Vacation
So not only was it just announced that Hollywood would be rebooting the Vacation movies, but today is also the 28th anniversary of the original Vacation's release. In honor of this momentous occasion, here are 10 things you never knew about National Lampoon's Vacation.
2. Originally, We Were Supposed To See Aunt Edna Wiggle Her Fingers While Tied To The Top Of The Car
But the ratings board deemed it too cruel.
3. Originally The Film Ended With The Griswolds Taking Roy Wally (Eddie Bracken) Hostage
The original filmed ending had the Griswolds leave Walley World and go to the house of Roy Walley. The Griswolds then held the family hostage, making them perform the Walley World theme until the police showed up. Test audiences hated this ending so they filmed the John Candy bits in the park later.
4. All The Distant Shots Of Walley World Are Matte Paintings
Including this one the car drives under.
5. Harold Ramis Was Inspired To Shoot Wide Shots Of Clark Alone In The Desert By La Guerre Du Feu
I totally got that vibe...
6. It Was The Only Vacation Movie To Receive An R Rating