10 Things You Didn't Know About Caddyshack
31 years ago today, arguably the greatest comedy of all time was released to the public. In the years since Caddyshack's legacy has only continued to grow. But here are 10 things you may not know about Carl and company.
1. Bill Murray Improvised The Entire "Cinderella Story" Monologue Off Of One Sentence Of Direction
"Ramis asked Murray to emulate a kid announcing his own fantasy sports moment." The long version of the scene lasted 30 minutes.
2. The Gopher Noises In The Film Are Actually The Dolphin Noises That Were Used In Flipper
3. Caddyshack Was Written By Bill Murray's Brother Brian Doyle-Murray
Doyle-Murray also played Lou Loomis in the film.
4. Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, and Rodney Dangerfield Were All Originally Only Going To Be Making Cameos
But their improvising was so good that their roles expanded quickly.
5. Tiger Woods Loves Caddyshack So Much That He Played Carl Spackler In A Commercial
6. Originally Harold Ramis Wanted To Score The Entire Movie Using Pink Floyd
The studio did not let him.
7. The Second Story Of Bushwood Was A Facade Added For The Movie
The actual clubhouse was much smaller.
8. Though The Film Was Shot In Florida It Takes Place In Nebraska
As a result the production team had to spray paint some of the grass blue to make it true to that location.
9. Cindy Morgan Didn't Want To Appear Topless In The Film
But producer and douche-nozzle extraordinaire Jon Peters threw the classic "You'll never work in this town again" speech at her so she agreed. Jon Peters can be summed up best by this Kevin Smith story.
10. The Scene Where Chevy Chase And Bill Murray Meet Was Added Later As Harold Ramis Realized His Two Stars Didn't Have Any Scenes Together
Ramis, Murray, and Chase wrote the scene together over lunch. You can watch the scene here.