1. Donald Glover Is A Genius
When Childish Gambino isn’t busy being an amazing rapper, he’s busy being the funniest person on a night full of funny people. I don’t think anyone makes me laugh more consistently.
2. It’s Like A Live Action Simpsons
Ken Jeong explains it eloquently in the above video. The Community universe is ever-expanding and constantly populating with new recurring characters. And they’re all hilarious (Pop Pop!).
3. It’s More Than “Will They or Won’t They”
So many shows (some of them very good) build their entire arcs around “will they or won’t they” romances. Jim and Pam. Sam and Diane. John McClane and Crazy Cybil Shepard (little known fact, that is her legal name). Community seemed like it was heading in the same direction with Jeff and Britta, but instead they went somewhere far more interesting. When they finally hooked up, that’s all it was a hook up. And rather than becoming an item they became fuck buddies. It was a different way to handle the tension and one that felt far more realistic than seasons and seasons of stolen glances.
The paintball episodes are high water marks not just for Community but for televised comedy over the last few years. How could someone not like this show?
5. The Tags!
The final thirty seconds of every episode of Community are funnier than the entireties of most TV shows. You could substitute any of the tags for the one I included, because they’re all so good (Troy and Abed in the Morning, Bert and Ernie, “I’m Jeff Wingerrrr, etc).
6. Alison Brie
I don’t think there is anyone in Hollywood who could wield a chloroform-soaked rag quite like Miss Brie. I hope it’s listed on her resumé under special skills.
7. It’s Funny!
This seems obvious, but I think voters may have forgotten that criterion. After all, they included Glee.
8. But It Still Does Emotion Well
And it does it while not being cloying. It’s a tight rope, but Harmon and co. walk it.
9. It Plays With Genre
Again, like The Simpsons, Community can not be classified into a single genre. One week it’s a western, the next an action movie, the next a paranoid thriller or horror movie. It’s doing so much more than everyone else and doing it well.
Community wants to be more than your average TV show. It tries big ideas. Outside of just genre juggling, it also just does crazy things. Like the clip show of episodes we never saw. “It’s a train that runs on us!” This is to say that Community’s degree of difficulty is far higher than most shows and the Emmy Voters should be embarrassed that they didn’t reward it for that and all of the other above reasons.
- Donald Trump's pick for treasury secretary, Steve Mnuchin, was grilled by Democrats over his time leading a mortgage company that carried out over 36,000 foreclosures.
- Senegal says it has sent troops into Gambia in an attempt to remove President Yahya Jammeh, who has refused to step down since losing reelection in December.
- Rick Perry, who famously wanted to abolish the Energy Department, said at his confirmation hearing to lead the Energy Department he now rejects "recommending its elimination."
- A majority of American adults get news from Facebook, according to a new survey by BuzzFeed, but only 18% of respondents said they trusted news from Facebook. ✋ 📰
Report an Issue
Drag to highlight one or more parts of the screen.
We got your feedback, and we'll follow up with you at
Sadly, an error occured while sending your feedback. Please contact email@example.com to let us know.