2. Lillian Gish 1893 - 1993
Before she became an actress, Lillian Gish considered becoming a nun. Had she chose that path, she would not have had a long and seminal career in film. She said, “I was never young, and if you were never young, how can you ever feel old?”
4. Ava Gardner 1922 - 1990
Gardner’s career in film lasted four decades. She had relationships with noted men such as Sinatra, Hemingway and Howard Hughes that nearly overshadow her accomplished cinematic resume. “My face, shall we say, looks lived in,” she has said - lived in quite well indeed.
5. Norma Shearer 1902 - 1983
Florenz Ziegfeld once called Shearer a “dog” and turned her down for his Follies. D.W. Griffith said her eyes were “too blue” but that didn’t stop her, and a two-decade run in film was the result. Fortunately she didn’t take her own advice (“Never let them see you in public after you turn 35”) - she was lovely through the ages.
6. Hedy Lamarr 1913 - 2000
As brilliant as she was stunningly beautiful, Hedy Lamarr’s fourth cinematic credit was in 1933’s infamous “Ecstasy”, where she filmed a close-up of her face in the throes of orgasm. In contrast to that early point in her career, mathematician Lamarr and a partner went on to patent an idea for a ‘secret communication system’ that was used by military ships in 1962.
9. Louise Brooks 1906 - 1985
Her film career may have lasted a short thirteen years, but Louise Brooks packed a lot into that time and beyond. Informally blacklisted, she worked as a salesgirl, gossip columnist and radio personality. She famously said, “I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it will be with a knife.”
10. Geraldine Chaplin 1944 -
Ms. Chaplin began her career at age 8 in “Limelight”, a film by her father, Charlie Chaplin. Much later in her career she would portray her paternal grandmother, Hannah Chaplin, in the film “Chaplin”, starring Robert Downey Jr.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- The White House defended rolling back Obama-era transgender protections, with Sean Spicer repeatedly insisting it's a "states' rights issue."
- Recreational marijuana needs "greater enforcement" of federal law, said Spicer, pitting the White House against eight states that legalized its use.
- Beyoncé has pulled out of performing at Coachella, citing doctors' advice about keeping a less rigorous schedule while pregnant 🐝😭
- Indiana police released chilling audio in the case of two teens found dead in the woods: a voice captured on one of their phones saying "down the hill."