2. These sandwich-thieving bastards waking you up every morning.
The campus wasn’t even THAT near the sea.
5. DON’T TRY AND PAY WITH A NOTE THOUGH.
You might get on 50% of the time with a fiver. Oh, you’ve only got a tenner? Better start walking.
7. You never actually bought The Argus, but the billboards made great souvenirs from a night out.
8. Everyone had at least one drunken group photo in front of this concrete sign.
A fixture on every Facebook profile.
9. The campus was full of 1960s buildings… that were actually kind of cool.
14. And when things got a bit too much, you were three minutes walk from some amazing countryside.
Stanmer Park, and then into the South Downs national park, as far as the eye could see.
17. As long as that good time didn’t involve Coca-Cola. This stuff was contraband.
Because a Colombian bottling plant trade union called for a boycott. Nestle products were also off limits.
18. As nice as campus was, the real fun was in Brighton.
19. But not at Oceana.
20. For a small city Brighton has a ridiculously high number of excellent pubs.
The Basketmakers Arms, the Hand in Hand, the Prince Albert, the Heart and Hand, the Great Eastern, the St James, the Pull and Pump, the Gladstone, the Druids Arms, the Constant Service, the Bear, the Bees Mouth, the Temple Bar, the Robin Hood, the Lion and Lobster, the Devonshire, the Waggon and Horses, the Mash Tun… barely scratching the surface.
21. But you sometimes wondered how one city could be so windy.
22. You knew at least one person who lived up Elm Grove, and you dreaded the hike up the hill to visit them.
“Hey, why don’t you come over to my place today instead?”
23. On campus it seemed like there’d be a protest every week.
Probably because management kept trying to close down bits of the university.