2. So she teamed up with NYC-based photographer Hanna Agar to create a photo series called Tools of Life, featuring elegantly bedazzled hearing aids shot in real-world scenarios.
The artist modeled for some of the pictures, in public places around NYC, channelling the elegance of her grandmother.
3. “My grandmother was a real lady,” Langer said on the project’s Tumblr.
“I don’t remember a time when her hair and nails weren’t done and she wasn’t dressed impeccably. In the last year of her life she, like many others in her condition, lost the ability to walk without support. And although she had a strong will to live, the idea of using a walker in public seemed unbearable to her. The force of her vanity had come up against the limit of the body.”
5. “We need to have fun within these places that cause social discomfort,” Langer said.
“To be able to embrace and play with our desire to adorn and enhance ourselves in both actual necessity (like a walker) and chosen necessity (like make-up, nails, hair, clothing…).”
10. “The moment Elana mentioned it to me, I could just imagine this world,” Agar told BuzzFeed, “where all these people were walking around with blinged out walkers, just rocking it down the street. And having hearing aids be just as beautiful as earrings.”
“It felt like a celebration of life instead of a reminder of what we lack. I love creating photographs that have a deeper message than just being a pretty picture, which was why this project really spoke to me.”
13. Check out more photos from the project here.
See more about Elana Langar’s projects here, and click here to see more of Hanna Agar’s photography. And if you or someone you love are interested in a special order walker or hearing aid, contact Elana at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A previous version of this article said the decorated devices were not for sale, but has been corrected.
- The Clinton campaign is trying to stop television stations from running a pro-Trump ad featuring Michelle Obama.
- A federal jury cleared the leaders of an Oregon standoff. The militia group took over a wildlife refuge last January.
- Countries from around the world have agreed that the Ross Sea in Antarctica will become the world's largest marine protected area.
- RIP — Vine says it's discontinuing its mobile app, effectively ending the 6-second video service 💀