Thanks to the universal popularity of selfies and the body-positive community’s use of social media, a new hashtag has real women sharing their bikini bodies in a bold and beautiful new way: #Fatkini
Over at Colorlines, Miriam Pérez talked to several women about how these communities are not only creating a space for openness, but also creating the market for stores to sell bikinis in bigger sizes.
One of the most popular retailers among #Fatkini shoppers is Forever21, which only recently began to sell fashionable plus-size two-pieces in its stores.
Many of the women proudly posting their #Fatkini photos admit that it’s their first time wearing a bikini in public, which makes them even more special.
“There’s not only this sense that I’m transgressing this rule that fat girls don’t wear bikinis,” said Virgie Tovar, one of the nation’s leading experts and lecturers on fat discrimination and body image. “There’s [also] this corporeal experience of the wind and sun on my stomach. That feeling is not only novel and exhilarating but also political.”
This hashtag is also something of a departure in the plus-size community, where people often try and refrain from using the word “fat” at all.
The embracing of the term is empowering women who may not fit the mold of the “hourglass” or “curvy” body type to be just as welcome.
37. Read more about the movement here, and check out the #Fatkini on Instagram and Twitter.
- President Trump has been sued by top legal scholars over alleged conflicts of interest with his foreign business entanglements.
- Samsung finally explained why its Galaxy Note 7 kept catching fire, blaming a combo of faulty batteries and improper welding in the phones📱🔥
- Alt-right news platform Breitbart News is set to expand its presence in Italy, BuzzFeed News has learned 📰 🇮🇹
- The New England Patriots are heading to the Super Bowl yet again. They'll play the Atlanta Falcons on Feb. 5 🏈