14 Classic Cookbooks That'll Actually Teach You Something
Something for everyone — from bread baking to sauce making.
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
When it comes to cookbooks, we often find ourselves coming back to the same few classics time and time again.
So we rounded up 14 cookbooks we think every serious cook should own — from the French classics to ones that guide you through baking bread — so you can find the perfect gift for every cook on your list.
1. For the person who wants to master classic recipes: Joy of Cooking
2. For people looking to add to their go-to recipe repertoire: Small Victories
4. For people who want to learn how to make legit bread at home: Flour Water Salt Yeast
5. For people who want to learn how to cook better tasting food without relying on recipes: The Flavor Bible
6. For people looking to master Southern cuisine while learning about its history: The Taste of Country Cooking
7. For people looking to master Italian cooking at home: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
8. For learning how to make the perfect bœuf bourguignon: Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 1
9. For people who are both food nerds, and science nerds: On Food and Cooking
10. For the ambitious home cook: Le Guide Culinaire
11. For people who want to understand what it takes to make a dish taste good: Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat
12. For people who want to cook vegetarian food that isn't boring: Plenty
13. For people who literally want to learn how to cook everything: How to Cook Everything
14. For people who want to up their baking game: The Baking Bible
Reviews have been lightly edited for length/clarity.