We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Some may have been sent as samples, but all opinions and reviews are our own. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A dog car seat so your pup stays safe during car rides too. The seatbelt is adjustable for a comfortable fit, while the elevated seat can help with car sickness (and gives them a better view out the window).
Promising review: "Years ago, I saw an Instagram dog who had this bed and rode along when his owner took him on car rides and road trips. I used to use a regular dog bed in the passenger seat, but one day, out of nowhere, my dog developed car anxiety. She went from being my errand buddy and riding along with me with no issues to panting, climbing up the passenger door to look out the window, and a couple of times even jumped into my lap! This is one of the best purchases I have ever made. The hook attaches to the dog's harness so she isn't able to jump up or jump out of the bed. It's also lifted so she's able to look out the window. Keeping her in place and able to look out has helped tremendously with her car anxiety, and I honestly don't know how I lived without this product. I highly recommend it, especially at this price point. Love it!" —Joseph Smorol
Get it from Amazon for $59.95+ (available in five colors).
2. Or a backseat car extender for bigger pups who need more leg room and space to sprawl out. It also ensure they won't go flying off the seat if you slam the brakes.
Promising reviews: "Can't live without! I wish we would’ve found this amazing product years ago! It gives us peace of mind that our dog won’t lose his footing and fall between the front console and the back seat. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!!!" —Brian R.
"It is a good product and I wish I had it years ago. The ride is easier on the dog as well as myself. She can sit comfortably and since she is not standing on the center console, I don't have to worry about her ending up in the front seat if I have to stop short. As a side benefit, it makes it much easier to put things in the back seat of the truck (golf clubs, overnight bags, etc.) because of the flat surface, and I still have the room to put my backpack of tools and things underneath." —Dan A. Lichtner
Get it from Amazon for $81.99 (available in two colors).
3. A double-layered litter mat with a honeycomb design that catches and traps litter so it doesn't scatter across your floor. You can then press in on the sides to open up the mat and dump the trapped litter back into your litter box, or slide it into the trash can, whichever you prefer!
I've been using this trapper mat for months now, and while it's pretty much impossible to eliminate all litter from your home if you own even one cat, let alone multiple, this mat has made keeping the floor of my litter box room MUCH more manageable. Unlike other mats, where the litter just kind of sits on top and eventually gets kicked elsewhere, this mat is designed so that the litter falls through the holes and stays inside the mat until you're ready to dump it. It's made out of an EVA material that's supposed to be gentle enough for cat paws, and my two kitties don't seem to have a problem walking on it. I *highly* recommend getting the larger 30-by-24-inch mat to extend the coverage area — I initially got the smaller one but went back for the larger size and it's perfect. Note that the mat will probably have a fold down the middle when it first arrives, but just give it some time and weigh it down with something if needed; it'll lay flat.
Promising review: "I have three indoor cats, and they used to track cat litter everywhere in my house! I mean, it was everywhere! Since I've been using this mat, the amount of cat litter that gets tracked around has been reduced by about 95%. I'm not exaggerating. I used to have to vacuum up the tracked litter several times a day. Now I vacuum it up about once a week and it's still less than I used to have in 1 day. I wish I had gotten this mat years ago. My cats even love the texture of it, and roll around on it frequently. You don't really even have to empty it, you can vacuum the litter out of it with a dust buster or hose attachment. It truly is miraculous!" —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $15.99+ (available in two sizes and three colors).
4. A pair of food storage containers for particularly smart pups and kitties who will tear open their food bags if left out. These airtight bins keep your pet food fresh for longer and also make it easy to reach in and scoop out the amount you need.
You get a large 33-quart bin and a smaller, stackable 12-quart bin, so you could store dog and cat food separately, or just use the top bin to store other pet supplies. You could also use the bottom bin for storing a cat's litter bag and the top bin for food — the options here are endless! The wheels on the bottom bin make it easy to roll around, a helpful feature for those with limited mobility or less arm strength. A scoop is included!
Promising review: "This is AWESOME. I wish I found this years ago. The castors roll well, even on carpet. The smaller bin is a great addition. We keep it on top of the big bin and fill it up as needed. Less bending over to feed the herd of puppies. The scoop is sturdy and easy to handle without being flimsy or too heavy. It's been dropped by little hands repeatedly and no cracks or breaks. Honestly, I cannot find a negative on it. I really like it." —Amy T
Get it from Amazon for $29.99+ (available in eight colors).
5. A pet grooming tool with super thin stainless-steel teeth to groom and detangle fur, especially on longer-haired cats and dogs. The result: clean, healthy-looking hair that looks like they just hit the salon for a blowout.
You're both about to be strutting down the street looking like you just left Drybar.
Promising reviews: "Life changing. I'm mad that I didn't buy this two years ago... works so well! I think my dog was super happy because it definitely got rid of a bunch of loose hair that I'm sure was making her very hot!" —Jessica
"Finally a tool that easily and harmlessly removes Joy's shedding hair. She is a Pomeranian and it's hard to keep her brushed. She loved the combing and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to less hairy clothes and upholstery. I wish I had seen this years ago..." —Corinne
Get it from Amazon for $18.99.
6. A dog paw cleaning device designed to keep your home free of mud and dirt after your daily dog walks. The gentle bristles clean your pup's paws quickly and effectively, keeping the leftover mess inside the container for pouring out (instead of it being tracked onto your carpet and furniture).
Promising review: "I can’t believe I’ve had a dog for six years without having this paw cleaner. It’s not only easy to use and clean, but it cleans paws thoroughly and fast. Huge fan. Definitely recommend." —Zach S.
Get it from Amazon for $11.69+ (available in three sizes, six colors, and with or without a lid).
7. A motion-activated spray deterrent for cats who just LOOOOOVE to scratch your bedroom door at night or yank on the door handle (truly the loudest, most annoying sound ever). When it detects their presence within 3 feet, it'll release a harmless spray to scare them off and (hopefully) teach them to avoid the area.
It's a somewhat pricey solution, but if you're someone who can't get a good night's sleep because of your cat's late-night antics, this might just put an end to your issue for good. Note that it uses four AAA batteries to operate.
Promising review: "This product is awesome! I wish I had known of it three years ago. As a newlywed, I inherited five cats which love to sleep on our bed (never had cats before). Their constant rhythmical motion of their paws pushing in and out against our blankets kept me awake all night. I started putting them out of the room and closing the doors. This brought more sleepless nights staring at the ceiling as they would not stop scratching the door to be let back in. Nothing has work to deter this behavior until I learned about the PetSafe SSScat. It worked as advertised, flawlessly from day one. What kept me awake the first night was the sound of the psssssss compressed air scaring the heck of each one of the cats and their subsequent landing. Apparently each had to test the SSScat and when it worked, they jumped high up in the air, based on the loud thump they made when landing and taking off down the hall. It was hilarious! After only two nights, I can now sleep soundly because there are no more cats scratching my doors. When we open the bedroom doors in the morning, we find five cats sitting in front of the door, just out of the SSSCat motion detector range, patiently waiting to be fed and loved." —Jose Esteban
8. A cord protector to end your cat or bunny's cable-chewing days for good. It can also double as a cable organizer if you have multiple in one area to conceal.
Promising reviews: "Easy to use. Can't believe I've survived all these years without this. Highly recommend." —pangochic
"So I have one of those cats who chews on electrical cords. I can't begin to tell you how many cords she has chewed through — alarm clocks, lamps, and all of the charging cords for our phones. I was pretty sure I'd find her fried one day. I was hoping for ANY kind of help to get her to stop chewing, and then I came across these sleeves. They're easy to install and can usually wrap around more than one cord at a time, which is helpful for the TV equipment (cable box and DVD player). Just open the sleeve and slide the cords inside. So far, my cat hasn't chewed any cords since I encased everything in these sleeves! Be sure to have scissors available for install, since you can cut these to any length you want. I've purchased this same item twice, to outfit all of the exposed cords I could find!" —impossible girl
Get it from Amazon for $9.99+ (available in 14 sizes and three colors).
9. A set of transparent couch protectors when absolutely nothing else will distract your kitty from the grand appeal of ripping your sofa to shreds. You get 10 large self-adhesive pieces to apply around the spots they target the most, and eventually they will learn they have to scratch elsewhere.
Promising reviews: "Easy to use and is the first thing that has ever protected my sofa from cat paws! I wish I’d bought this product five years ago!" —Carol Palmer
"Our cat was destroying the corner of our brand-new sectional, so I was excited to try these out. I didn’t want to try sprays or anything with pins that puncture the couches. I was a little worried about the quality of the adhesive, but the screen has been holding up and my cat no longer scratches that corner. There are plenty of screens in the package to add more if she finds a new spot." —NKakanis
Get a pack of 10 from Amazon for $20.99 (available in multiple pack sizes).
10. A Furbo camera so you can check in on your dog when you're at work, on a trip, or anywhere outside the home. You can get push notifications when your dog is barking and talk to them through the app to calm them — you can even toss them a treat!
An optional, add-on subscription unlocks even more functionality with the camera, including tracking specific dog activities (like when they jump on furniture), alerting you when a person comes into view, taking selfies when the dog is looking at the camera, and creating a 60-second doggie diary that shows you the highlights of your dog's day. A 90-day free trial of this subscription is included!
Promising reviews: "We love our Furbo. Got it for Christmas. No problems. Can't believe we went 12 years without one. Highly recommend." —John Iodice
"I currently have two Great Danes and the Furbo is absolutely essential when I leave the house. I had one that got sick when I was gone, so I was able to see that and get back home. I have a puppy now that requires lots of check-ins and I am alerted to any extra movement, barking, etc. It also alerts me if a person is there, which definitely came in handy about a year ago when I was not expecting to see someone there. It also alerts me if the smoke detectors go off! I can't live without this!" —Lori L. Young
Get it from Amazon for $169.
11. A UV black-light flashlight that, uh, may give you some very gross info about where your pet has been having accidents. There's nothing worse than detecting the vague smell of pee and not knowing where it's coming from.
Promising reviews: "I should have had this years ago. It is a flashlight so it does not clean. I did not even know that the male dog had done a sprinkle in the living room. This flashlight lit it right up! You will be able to see the pet stains immediately. Absolute must have! My daughter got one after I told her about it. Same thing! Surprise areas that the dogs had stained." —Boomer
"OMG this is disgusting!!! I hope this isn't all just cat pee that shows up cause there is a lot! I bought this because I thought my cat was peeing in one room and couldn't find the exact spot so I bought this. Found the spot and more. Would recommend." —Momof3boys
Get it from Amazon for $12.99.
12. And an odor-eliminating spray you should have on hand for when you locate that latest carpet accident. Not only does it lift away stains; it also releases enzymes that break down the deep and persistent odors left behind.
Carpet messes are undoubtedly the worst to clean up, but you can also use this on clothes and other surfaces like concrete and hardwood. Just be sure to follow the instructions carefully for noncarpet use.
Promising review: "I honestly have no idea how we managed without this product before. We’ve tried most everything, from carpet cleaners to products that just cover scent. Nothing truly worked or lasted to get the cat urine odor out of our carpets. We were at our wit’s end when it began to happen in our own room — one corner of the room has become nearly unbearable. We didn’t even want to enter our own room. I purchased this product as a Hail Mary, hoping the positive reviews were true. THEY ALL UNDERSTATED THIS PRODUCT!! My fiancé followed the instructions down to the T and the smell is COMPLETELY GONE. Not even the slightest hint of urine anymore. I admit, I’m more of a citrus/floral girl for smells so this more minty scent isn’t my style, but the fragrance doesn’t linger too long. But what remains is a completely neutralized smell. In addition, the carpet seems generally cleaner. I am so grateful to this product." —Amazon Customer
Get a 32-ounce bottle from Amazon for $19.97 (also available in a gallon size).
Rocco & Roxie is a family-owned small business named after the Magleby family's pets Rocco, a Labradoodle, and Roxie, a former shelter tabby cat. They make a variety of pet supplies, including cleaners, treats, grooming tools, accessories, and toys. Check out our in-depth Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator review for more!
13. A ChomChom pet hair roller for pets who love to sprawl out on your furniture and leave a thick layer of hair behind. The ChomChom roller doesn't mess with sticky tapes or paper; instead, you get a reusable brush that grabs up every bit of hair and lint as you clean — just empty it out after, and you're good to go again!
Promising reviews: "Where has this been all my cat-loving life? Sticky rollers work fine for clothes, but this is the only product that has ever COMPLETELY removed all the cat hair from my bed. I have a long-haired 20-pound tabby and if you run your hands up his back a few times and fling the hair everywhere, it looks like it's snowing — he never stops shedding no matter what I do. After using the ChomChom, I can put on a black dress and roll around on my bed and not get a single hair on me. It's absolutely amazing. Everyone is getting one for Christmas, even if they don't have a pet. I don't care, it's THAT good." —Stephanie
"I can't believe I've been living without this; it's made getting hair off of furniture, clothes, blankets so much easier! We own a black Lab and she sheds like crazy year-round, and we recently got a long-haired tabby who we found, also sheds horribly. It cleans the hair off of the chairs and couch so well, and it just takes a couple of swipes. I tried it on my shirts/pants/leggings and it was more effective and quicker than using the old tape/roller trick. Plus, you don't have to buy replacements. I have been using it diligently since we got it, definitely recommend!" —Taylor
Get it from Amazon for $28.95.
14. A clear toy blocker to stop all their toys and balls from *immediately* ending up underneath the couch and other furniture, putting an end to one of the most annoying pet owner chores: going around and "rescuing" their toys for them. And because it's made of durable plastic, it's not something they'll be able to rip up and destroy either!
It can also help discourage them from hiding under furniture!
Promising reviews: "WISH I WOULD HAVE FOUND THIS YEARS AGO FOR MY DOGS! I recently bought it because my 11-month-old is constantly throwing stuff and pushing things under couch. I was able to install this while the baby was climbing all over me and haven't had any problems with adhesive. Also keeps my two small dogs from hiding their bones and toys under the couch! Perfectly invisible. Literally life changing! I can finally throw away self-made blockers, which were pool noodles that always moved." —Crystal K
"A must-have for ALL pet owners. This contraption is genius and will save cat (and dog) owners insane amounts of time and frustration retrieving toys. We used this beneath our oven and it works PERFECTLY. Cat can't destroy it (the way she shredded the foam insulation we had stuffed under there before) and we no longer have to get the yardstick out when literally all of her toys are 'gone.' Yes, this is a challenge to install, but 100% worth it. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat." —Allison Goldstein
Get it from Amazon for $13.98+ (available in three sizes).
15. A soothing anxiety jacket for dogs prone to getting a little stressed out. It applies gentle, constant pressure to calm your dog, whether it's general anxiety or triggered by things like fireworks and thunder. (BRB, looking for my own human-sized anxiety jacket...)
Promising reviews: "I honestly should have bought this YEARS ago but I was skeptical that it would somehow magically help my 105-pound German Shepherd who is TERRIFIED of thunder and fireworks... WOW, just WOW! She was a completely DIFFERENT DOG this New Year's celebration and if I could hear the fireworks, I know she could too! She did get a little nervous on some of the HUGE bangs but again, night and day difference for her!" —BS
"I HIGHLY recommend this for any dogs who have that nervous energy or get overstimulated; that is where it has been most effective for us. I do suggest it for more 'typical' anxieties as well; it has helped cut out the anxious pacing and shaking, but it's not a miracle cure (at least for us) that makes them immune to those triggers. Definitely worth trying, we are kicking ourselves for not getting one years ago!" —Christine K. (Psst — read this full review for more deets; it's long but helpful!)
Get it from Amazon for $39.95+ (available in seven sizes and two colors).
16. An automatic water fountain so your cat stops trying to drink out of the kitchen faucet. Cats prefer to drink from running water, and this fountain maintains a steady stream that should actually encourage them to drink more water, a healthy habit that can help with kidney issues down the road.
It comes with three replacement filters and a mat.
Promising review: "I wish I would’ve bought this years ago!! I have a cat that loves to play in water. He now gets the running water feel without having to dig in the water and make a mess. Amazing product and great buy." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $26.99+ (available in two colors).
17. Plus an automatic cat feeder, because those early morning wake-up calls from your cat letting you know it's TIME TO EAT are plain exhausting. You just program this feeder to dispense a certain amount of food up to four times a day, and it'll make sure your cat gets fed at that time.
It plugs into the wall, but it also accepts batteries in case of power outages. Also, you can record a 10-second clip of your voice saying something like, "Maggie! It's time to eat!" so they get a consistent verbal cue that they recognize.
Promising review: "We held off for years telling ourselves our cat would eventually accept his feeding time if we were consistent in ignoring him. Well, here we are. Wish we bought this sooner; best money I've ever spent. Plus, we can more easily leave our cat for a few days without worrying as much. The battery backup is a nice feature, and it's easy to program, and once you get it set up you basically don't need to do anything except monitor the amount of remaining food. My only slight complaint is that the bowl itself is a hollow plastic, so the food hitting the bowl was actually loud enough in the other room to wake us up. So we now just have it dispense onto the mat we have." —Jen E.
Get it from Amazon for $69.99 (available in two colors and two sizes).
18. A tear-proof screen made of tough polyester yarn so your fur babes can enjoy some fresh air without bolting through the screen at the sight of a squirrel.
Promising review: "I have cats who like to hang on my screens and this stuff has held up now for almost two months without even one spot that has ripped. It is a little darker than my old screen but once it was in window, you can hardly tell difference. Regret not getting this years ago." —jen k
Get it from Amazon for $16+ (available in three sizes).
19. A robotic vacuum that'll (literally) stay on top of the endless pet fur and litter (along with other dust and dirt) that builds up on your floor, freeing up some of your time for other things. They'll likely prefer it to the loud full-sized vacuum and might even have fun stalking it as it quietly moves around cleaning your floor.
This robo vac can easily move between hard floors and low-pile carpets/rugs and can pick up all the accumulated dust, dirt, and hair while you go about your day.
Promising reviews: "Love this little vacuum! Don’t know how I have lived without one of these for all these years. Highly recommend for busy households with teenagers and dog hair." —Lori
"So we have three cats and three large breed dogs. I was seven months pregnant with a 10-month old at home when I realized I had no energy trying to keep the floors clean vacuuming every day so my baby could crawl freely. A friend of mine got this vacuum and was really pleased with it so I decided to try it as well. Oh my god...I fell in love instantly!! We have uneven floors/drop steps and it gets around no problem. With all of our pets I choose to run it at night and sometimes once in the afternoon when the kids are napping. This thing is amazing and picking up everything. I really don't find it to be too loud and I don't mind the maintenance cleaning it requires from working in our house with all the pets. If you're on the fence on this purchase, just give it a try. You'll wonder why you ever lived without it before." —Ecaclan
Get it from Amazon for $116.99 (available in two colors).
20. A pet gate to let cats through into areas where bigger animals may not be allowed (sorry, Fido!), also giving them a great escape route if your cats don't get along with a dog in the house. This is also great for safely introducing a new cat to the household!
I've used this exact gate in the past and found it really easy to set up in my doorway, and it's *extremely* sturdy once you adjust the tension properly — I can't see any dogs being able to break through, and it's made of metal, which discourages chewing. I personally used it when I adopted my younger cat and needed to slowly introduce him to my older cat. The space between the bars were wide enough for them to see and sniff each other without any possibility of them fighting. I will say that once the younger cat got braver, he was able to leap over the top of it, but my older, bigger cat could not (which meant the younger cat always had a means of escape). So keep that in mind, depending on your use case. You can also install it a few inches above the ground to get some extra height.
Promising review: "I wish we bought this gate years ago since it was a constant game of figuring out how to keep the dog away from the cat's food and box. We even occasionally used a rollaway suitcase in a doorway as our makeshift solution. FINALLY — peace, cleanliness, and less money spent on extra cat food that our dog would devour every time she got a chance. Great gate!" —HillsideHaven
Get it from Amazon for $44.99.