Early last Tuesday morning, a man at a Detroit gas station was startled while pumping gas by a spider that was crawling on his fuel tank. Surprised by the critter, he used a lighter to try to kill it. A fire immediately erupted.
"He didn't have a cigarette, he didn't have anything on him. All of a sudden I look out, and I see flames," employee Susan Adams, who was working that morning, told Fox 2 Detroit.
Flames were seen engulfing one side of the car along with the fuel pump in only a matter of seconds.
Adams acted quickly and pressed the automatic stop button, while the man ran for a nearby fire extinguisher to put out the flame.
Luckily, no one was hurt, but the gas pump did get badly charred.
Adams also told Fox 2 Detroit that the man came back the next day and apologized for the accident. "He was sorry, he said he didn't know. It is just one of those things that happen — stupidity."
The damage is expected to be covered by the station's insurance. The National Fire Protection Association and other safety organizations advise against using lighters while refueling.