1. The Original: “Toxic” by Britney Spears
I mean, what are you doing Britney? What. Are. You. Doing. First you’re an air hostess, then you’re all glittery and semi-nude, then you’re a freaking brunette, of all things. Get your shit together.
The Cover: “Toxic” by Yael Naim
This song is so charmingly different to the original, it’s hard to even liken them. Dark and emotional, its quirky, spooky, slow execution gives the song a whole different edge. Oh, and it’s actually enjoyable to listen to. Win-win!
2. The Original: “Too Little Too Late” by JoJo
A typical, angsty teenybopper hit that sounded pretty much like every other song she’s ever sang. Or, you know, every pop song ever.
The Cover: “Too Little Too Late” by Department of Eagles
Daniel Rossen (hailing from Grizzly Bear fame) makes this a hardly recognisable version of song. The average, recycled pop hit is completely transformed into hauntingly folksy perfection.
3. The Original: “Relief” by R. Kelly
Our favourite urolagniac singer gave us this boring, repetitive song that no one cared about in his equally yawntastic 2010 album Love Letter. Unfortunately, R. Kelly has failed to realise that “I Believe I Can Fly” really was his peak, and has proceeded to make two more albums since, and you can tell he’s getting desperate as one has the word panties in the album name. Yes, I’m serious.
The Cover: “Relief” by Sam Amidon
Ben Folds meets Iron and Wine in Sam Amidon’s orchestral and delicate cover. Being able to listen to a song without wanting to kill yourself is also always a plus, and I could listen to this all damn day.
4. The Original: “Get The Party Started” by P!nk
Ah, vintage P!nk, exclamation mark and all. Neon hair, absurd amounts of gel, and way too much midriff all made for her very first and very average pop hit that launched her into stardom.
The Cover: “Get This Party Started” by Lisa Hannigan feat. Damien Rice
Lisa Hannigan (and Damien Rice) swap the bouncy tune to something more sultry and sexual. The party in question turns from a grungy pseudo-rebellious teen party with those red cups and too many douchebags to a dimly lit adults only soiree in Lisa’s pants.
5. The Original: “Buy U A Drank” by T-Pain
Shawtyyy! Yeahhhh Yeahhh Yeahh!
…No. No no no. Pain indeed.
The Cover: “Buy You A Drink” by The Beggar Folk
The thought of wacking a violin into a T-Pain song and making it into a slow, harmonic folk tune is almost inconceivable. The world desperately needs a better recording of this song - give The Beggar Folk a shout out to record the song and some massive kudos from the world for actually having the ability to make a T-Pain song stunning.
6. The Original: “Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepsen
Despite being catchier than the plague, I’m pretty sure even Carly Rae is sick to damn death of this song.
The Cover: “Call Me Maybe” by Ben Howard
No one could not call Ben Howard after this.
7. The Original: “Sexy And I Know It” by LMFAO
The animal print was out of control… And not in a good way either. After months of hearing this song on constant rotation absolutely everywhere, none of us were even close to laughing our fucking asses off.
The Cover: “Sexy And I Know It” by Noah Guthrie
This is mind blowing. Noah makes the original, beeping, annoying garbage of a song into an incredibly soulful version that actually gives it the real sexiness it once lacked.
8. The Original: “Boyfriend” by Justin Bieber
……It’s a Justin Bieber song.
The Cover: “Boyfriend” by Marina and the Diamonds
Everything Marina touches turns to
9. The Original: “I’m Not Alone” by Calvin Harris
I mean, aren’t all Calvin Harris songs pretty much exactly the same thing anyway? CUE SYNTHS
“I’m Not Alone” by Mumford and Sons
God damn you Carey Mulligan, for getting to Marcus Mumford and his sweet, sweet British voice before the rest of us.
10. The Original: “Hot N Cold” by Katy Perry
I mean, it’s Katy Perry. Do I need to say much more? I’m pretty sure the intelligent people of the world wrote her off a long time ago.
The Cover: “Hot N Cold” by Los Colorados
…I saved the best ‘til last, you guys.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Thousands of people hit the streets Saturday to participate in the People's Climate March, a protest against Trump's environmental policies.
- Today is Trump's 100th day in office. We found an average of about one false statement per day from him and his aides so far 💯
- Turkey's government has blocked users in the country from visiting Wikipedia, in yet another crackdown on free speech.
- Will Ferrell showed up to a special taping of Samantha Bee's "Not The White House Correspondents Dinner" as George W. Bush.