1. We have spent a ton of money on Border Patrol – and it hasn’t fixed the problem.
The “Enforcement Only” approach has failed: The budget of the U.S. Border Patrol has increased tenfold since 1993, but at the same time, the number of unauthorized immigrants in the United States has tripled.
2. Tens of thousands of families have been torn apart by deportations.
Between 1998 and 2007, 108,434 immigrants with U.S.-citizen children were removed from the country. The majority were removed for civil immigration violations – not criminal offenses. That number will grow as deportations continue.
3. We have already missed out on an opportunity that would have been hugely beneficial to our economy.
If the federal government had already created a program to allow the undocumented immigrants now in the country to become legalized, the U.S. economy would have received a much-needed boost: more tax revenue, more consumer buying power, and more jobs.
4. In other words, without improving the U.S. immigration system, we are passing up on this:
The higher earning power of legalized immigrants would lead to an increase in net personal income of $30 to $36 billion. That would generate up to $5.4 billion in taxes in the first three years alone.
7. But we’re not getting these economic benefits right now, which should make us feel like this:
Without immigration reform, the state of California alone is missing out of an additional $1.4 billion in income taxes that undocumented Latino workers would be paying each year if they were granted legal status.
8. In other words, we can’t keep losing out on the huge benefits of immigration reform:
As Congress continues to ponder the possibility of enacting immigration reform legislation, the broken machinery of the U.S. immigration system continues to drain the federal budget and undermine the economy. But this cannot go on forever. The cost of doing nothing is too great.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Democrats will try to block Trump's Supreme Court pick, Neil Gorsuch, setting the stage for Republicans eliminating the judicial filibuster.
- Republicans worked overnight trying to finalize a deal that would allow their Obamacare replacement plan to pass in the House.
- An American-Israeli teen has been arrested in Israel for bomb threats to Jewish community centers in the US, says the FBI.
- The suspect in the London terror attack near Parliament, who was killed by police, has been identified as 52-year-old Khalid Masood.