1. Four-time Grammy winner Macklemore performed “Same Love” with Ryan Lewis at the Grammys Sunday.
2. It’s his song about letting people love who they want to love, even if they’re gay, and it turned into a gay rights anthem after its release in 2012.
3. They were joined by Mary Lambert, who sings the song’s hook and who wrote it about her longtime girlfriend.
4. Then 34 couples got married, some of whom were same-sex couples.
5. Queen Latifah officiated the weddings.
6. And then Madonna came out to perform “Open Your Heart” after rings were exchanged.
7. Lewis said after the performance that his sister was one of the people who got married during the ceremony.
Earlier in the day he told the New York Times the ceremony “will be in our minds the ultimate statement of equality, that all the couples are entitled to the same exact thing.”
8. “This isn’t about TV and ratings,” Queen Latifah said after the weddings. While some — including at BuzzFeed — were talking about Latifah, she directed attention to others.
“It meant a lot because two of them were friends of mine… Everybody should get to fall in love with someone and build a life,” she said.
9. Here’s video of the whole thing:
- U.S. presidential candidate Ted Cruz ended his campaign after losing Indiana's primary to Donald Trump. Bernie Sanders won on the Democratic side.
- A massive wildfire is threatening the capital of Canada's oil sands industry, and tens of thousands of people have been ordered to evacuate.
- Prime Minister David Cameron has bowed to pressure for the UK to accept more unaccompanied child refugees.