1. 80% of Americans consider the Bible sacred or holy.
2. 88% of American households own a Bible.
3. 56% of Americans believe the Bible has too little influence in today’s society.
4. Those who are 48 years old and older are the most likely to believe this.
5. The King James version is the most popular.
6. 22% believe the Bible is the literal word of God and should be taken literally, word for word.
7. 31% said their faith influences their voting “a great deal.”
8. Those who read the Bible are more likely to give to a charity or nonprofit organization.
9. 20% of Bible readers said John 3:16 was their favorite verse. 9% said Psalm 23 was their favorite verse.
10. 16% strongly agree that the Bible, the Koran, and the Book of Mormon are all different expressions of the same spiritual truths.
11. 29% of Bible readers have read the Bible on smartphones in the past year.
12. 47% strongly agree that the Bible contains everything a person needs to know to live a meaningful life.
13. 45% strongly agree that the Bible teaches God helps those who help themselves.
14. 78% knew that the statement “Noah was married to Joan of Arc” is false.
See the full results of the study here.
- A Cincinnati zoo is defending its decision to kill a gorilla after a boy fell into an exhibit.
- Seventeen people died in a fire at a makeshift nursing home near Ukraine's capital Kiev on Sunday.
- At least four people died and 49 others were injured in shootings during a violent Memorial Day weekend in Chicago.