While Boston may not be the biggest city in the country, it is the biggest college hub in the world, with over 100 colleges and universities in the Greater Boston area. So, when you think about how the majority of people who attend music festivals are college-aged (or close to it), wouldn’t you think the city would be a hotbed of live music and up-and-coming talent?
Sure, there are a lot of great artists that get their start in Beantown, but there is a startling lack of big musical events. In fact, only last year did the city get a real music festival.
Some weren’t sure how long Boston Calling would be around, it not only survived it’s first year, it grew. A lot.
The event takes place twice a year—once in May (23-25th—next weekend!) and again in September (5-7th)—perfect times for students to partake in the festivities. 2014 marks Boston Calling’s second year, and it is doing better than ever. If you’ve never heard of the festival, you should. It is likely to become one of the better events in the US every year, as well as another step in the growth of Boston’s flourishing music community.
Need more convincing? Here are 25 songs you can expect to hear at Boston Calling. Some you know, some you don’t. All are great.
2. Death Cab For Cutie - “I Will Possess Your Heart”
3. Lorde - “Royals”
4. Jack Johnson - “Taylor”
5. The National - “Graceless”
6. Modest Mouse - “Dashboard”
7. Childish Gambino - “Bonfire”
8. The Decemberists - “O Valencia!”
9. Girl Talk - “Make Me Wanna”
10. Brand New - “The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows”
11. The 1975 - “Chocolate”
12. Tegan and Sara - “Closer”
13. twenty one pilots - “Car Radio”
14. Bastille - “Of The Night”
15. Future Islands - “Seasons (Waiting On You)”
16. Magic Man - “Paris”
17. Bleachers - “I Wanna Get Better”
18. Maximo Park - “Apply Some Pressure”
19. San Fermin - “Sonsick”
20. Warpaint - “Love Is To Die”
21. The Hold Steady - “Spinners”
22. Walk Off The Earth - “Somebody That I Used To Know” (Gotye cover)
23. Phosphorescent - “Song For Zula”
24. The Neighbourhood - “Sweater Weather”
25. Volcano Choir - “Comrade”
- Let the Brexit countdown begin: Prime Minister Theresa May has invoked Article 50. Britain is set to leave the EU by 2019.
- The US House of Representatives voted to undo landmark internet privacy rules that protect your sensitive information 💻
- Companies like Nestle, Ben & Jerry's, and General Mills say they'll keep fighting carbon pollution despite Trump's climate change executive order.
- Two UN investigators' bodies were found in a shallow grave after they went missing in the Democratic Republic of Congo.