2. The story behind the project:
While creating an image for my Something to Weigh series, I decided to photograph myself sitting alone on the Times Square stairs to capture my solitude in a busy crowd. After developing the film, I noticed that a man was standing behind me being photographed by an attractive blonde woman. Rather than pose for her camera, he was sneering at me behind my back.
Five minutes later and at another location, another man turns his back to gawk at me while I am photographing myself sitting at a café table
I have always been aware of people making faces, commenting and laughing at me about my size. I now reverse the gaze and record their reactions to me while I perform mundane tasks in public spaces. I seek out spaces that are visually interesting and geographically diverse. I try to place myself in compositions that contain feminine icons or advertisements.
Otherwise, I position myself and the camera in a pool of people…and wait.
- Tennessee authorities have charged 2 minors with starting the massive wildfires that killed 14 people last month.
- Donald Trump has picked former WWE CEO Linda McMahon to lead the Small Business Administration.
- At least 2 women say Stanford offered them money to close federal investigations into how it handles sexual assault.
- Dozens of employees and patients say the US's biggest psychiatric chain locks up people for insurance money.