On Tuesday afternoon, the Jenny Packham fashion show was nearly ready to start: the lights went dim, the crowded pit of photographers took their places, and PR girls with clipboards made sure Christina Hendricks found her seat. But before the crew could lift the protective cellophane from the runway, the K-9 unit would have to complete its sweep.
Over the past few days, a K-9 unit dog and its accompanying police officer have been spotted all over Lincoln Center, the headquarters of New York Fashion Week where many of the runway shows take place. The dogs have been backstage, on runways before shows, and around the main lobby area.
On Thursday, the first day of Fashion Week, a K-9 unit dog even posed for a photo in the “Mercedes-Benz Star Lounge.”
Show attendees didn’t recall seeing the canine police in past seasons, and wondered what the dog, which wears a large “Do Not Pet” sign, has been sniffing for — Drugs? Bombs? A representative from IMG, which produces Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, wrote in an email: “For obvious reasons we do not comment on our security protocols.”
Here are some photos of the dog:
3. According to someone on Twitter, her name is Shea.
#NYC#Dogs#NYFW meet Shea. She’s 3. Shea is a real K-9 dog. I couldn’t pet her. That was tough. But she’s a sweetie
4. Here she is in the “Star Lounge.”
5. On the runway.
We have a guest this year: K-9 unit has been all over @LincolnCenter and @MBfashionweek … #NYFW
- President Obama zinged the media and the field of presidential contenders before dropping the mic at his final White House Correspondents' Dinner 🎤
- A state of emergency was declared in Baghdad as protesters breached the fortified "Green Zone," home to most ministries and embassies in the city.
- And do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz 💯