46 Things You And Your Family Will Enjoy This Summer
A fire pit, a karaoke microphone, a blow-up pool, and a bug-catching tool to ensure you have the best summer ever.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. Spikeball, an easy-to-transport game that is kinda like volleyball and will have your friends asking you to bring it on every beach trip.
My friends are OBSESSED with Spikeball. While I'm not super coordinated and prefer to be a cheerleader (I'm accident-prone, OK!), this game is one of the most fun beach activities I've seen in a minute. It has been described as "if volleyball and foursquare had a baby" and can be played in a variety of ways.
Promising review: "This is a great beach game. Its simplicity as a spin on volleyball will have you and your friends be the envy of the beach. On multiple occasions I was asked where I bought this game. Great fun, and a great product. Assembly was simple enough. It's just plastic clips and then finding a way to get the net tight enough onto the hoop. You might think it isn't springy enough but it will be. Remember... This isn't a trampoline!" —Btschultz
Get it from Amazon for $59.95.
2. A mini pool even adults can enjoy, so you can pretend you're on vacation in the Hamptons instead of your apartment's tiny patio.
Promising review: "2020... need I say more? Stuck at home, vacation cancelled, now also furloughed... oh, and my central AC just completely died as well. I needed something to make being home for months on end more bearable, so I decided to get myself a pool for some sunbathing/ relaxing. I love this thing!! I got an electric pump to blow it up, so that's easy. Got a tarp to cover it with when I'm not using it. Got a cheap net to scoop out leaves and bugs that find their way inside. It's awesome! Highly recommend. I've already sent the link to inquiring friends who have the same idea as me. Do it!!" —MDG
Get it from Amazon for $89.99.
3. A tabletop fireplace with removable glass so you can enjoy a freshly made s'more any time of year — yum.
You can order this with or without the sand and rocks. The only thing that you will need to purchase separately is the 2.6-oz. gel fuel cans, which you can get from Amazon. 1Man1Garage is a small business based out of Nashville, Tennessee.
Promising review: "Soooo cute and easy to put together. We bought a clear spray to put on to protect it and because we actually really liked the look of the burned side. Boyfriend and I bought it to make s'mores for Valentine's. It was a perfect night in." —Bethany Schneider
4. An oversized blanket you can spread out on your lawn to catch some rays, read a book, or have a spontaneous picnic with your S.O.
Promising review: "Purchased this blanket to keep in my car for the impromptu picnic or beach visit. I love the colors and that it has a handmade look to it. It’s lightweight and softer than other blankets this style. All and all very happy with my purchase!" —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $19.95+ (available in eight styles).
5. A playhouse for your kids (or friends' kids) that looks like an actual lil' seaside shack and'll make your backyard the go-to destination of the summer.
6. A supersized version of Connect Four that'll provide your squad with hours upon hours of simple fun in the sun. The only downfall is you might never want to play the regular version again!
Promising review: "Best purchase! We bought it for the kids but my husband and I stayed up until 1 a.m. playing!! It was a hit at our party! Great quality. Yes, you can hit the bar and release the discs, but it hasn't happened to us and wouldn't be a big deal if it did! Totally worth it! So glad we got it!!" —Rechel B
Get it from Amazon for $79.99.
7. The 90th Anniversary Mickey Waffle Maker so you can recreate the classic Parks staple and chow down while planning your next magical vacation.
It's a double-sided waffle maker that makes three Mickey-shaped breakfast treats on each side, so you can make six all at once! It also features an adjustable browning dial so you can make them *just* the way you like 'em. To the surprise of no one that has ever had a conversation with me, I have this exact waffle maker and it's one of my most prized possessions.
Get it from shopDisney for $74.95.
8. A critter catcher you can use to safely trap and remove any unwanted creature that wanders into your home — a perfect compromise that'll please every member of your family whether they detest bugs or wish them well.
Promising review: "This thing is awesome! Initially I was hesitant that it would squish the little guys or they would fall out in transport but it's great! Highly recommend! Sorry little guy your GPS brought you into my house, I will help you find your way back outside :)" —Crystal R
Get it from Amazon for $21.95+ (available in three colors).
9. An air purifier, a must-have for any pet owners who spend all of their time snuggling up with their furry friend — especially during summer when it's simply far too hot to venture outdoors. This lil' gadget will capture unwanted pet dander, pollen, dust, and more.
Promising review: "I foster kittens for a rescue, and no matter how often I clean the boxes, two or three times daily, and general cleaning, I still have an odor in the room. I got this product out of desperation. It was a good size and weight for kitties bouncing around. I am truly shocked and enormously happy with how it works! My husband was at wits' end with his sensitive nose. He goes in there now and is astonished, no smell. We are getting another for the kitchen! The room is 10×10, and I use it one the two setting. I also enjoy the night light. Very helpful without disturbing sick sleepy babies recovering from illness." —victoria Mohagen
Get it from Amazon for $76.99 (available in two colors).
10. An oversized outdoor umbrella complete with lighting that'll let you continue to make use out of your outdoor patio even when the sun goes down.
Note that this includes just the umbrella, not the table!
Promising review: "I normally don’t like buying products like this sight unseen, but I’m very pleased with the look and especially with the solar lighting. We enjoyed a pleasant evening on the deck with just the right amount of ambient light tonight, and we are hopeful that it will prove to be durable." —Dee Williams
Get it from Amazon for $71.99 (available in five color combos).
11. A waterproof Kindle Paperwhite with an anti-glare screen so any bookworm can happily virtually flip through the pages of a novel while basking in the sun.
It's the thinnest and lightest Kindle Amazon has released to date! And — as is made abundantly clear by the photo above — it's 100% waterproof. I'm typically a hardcover girl through-and-through, but I recently gave the Kindle a whirl. It's very convenient to be able to slip it into any bag without it taking up much real estate and the transition between pages is very smooth.
Promising review: "I love the fact that I can read on this Kindle in both daylight and dim light conditions. It is so light and compact, which makes it easy to hold, easy to travel with, and the battery lasts forever. I love it." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $129.99 (available in four colors).
And check out our full breakdown of the Kindle Paperwhite here.
12. Kan Jam, an outdoor frisbee toss game that'll start as a casual game of catch and most likely evolve into a SUPER competitive battle for greatness.
This is another game my friends have been playing at the beach since we were in high school — it's always been a big hit. The rules are quite simple: break into two pairs but position yourselves across from one another. Then all you have to do is aim your frisbee toss at the "kan." If your teammate deflects the frisbee to hit the kan, you get one point. If the disc hits the kan on its own, that is two points. If your teammate taps the frisbee into the kan that's three points. If by some lucky chance you throw the disc RIGHT INTO THE SLOT, you win!
Promising review: "This is a ridiculously fun and easy lawn game. It's got the strategy of horseshoes with the fun of a team activity. The rules are simple, the equipment is made to last — if you are looking for a semi-active game to bring to the beach, family barbecue, or even company picnic, this is it!" —J. Caldwell
Get it from Amazon for $14.99+ (available in three styles).
13. A margarita cocktail kit you can pair with your favorite tequila and enjoy without the added sugar you'd usually get from a drink like this. You're welcome ;).
InBooze is a Black woman–owned small business based out of Grandville, Michigan that sells cocktail kits to infuse your booze (fun!).
Promising review: "This was my first InBooze kit which I infused into a full bottle of tequila. I saw the infusion start to impart that gorgeous strawberry color within minutes and it only deepened over the 5 days I let it steep! This makes a lovely cocktail with lime or grapefruit sparkling water with some lemon or lime juice to boot. I liked this infusion so much, I bought 3 more from this shop to try out more flavors." —Joy
14. A pop-up tunnel play set that'll keep little ones busy so you can kick back and enjoy an ice cold beverage.
Promising review: "Easy to set up and tear down, and I like that it comes with a storage bag. I also love that it can be configured different ways and you can just use pieces and not the whole thing if you want. The addition of stakes for using outside is also handy. Overall a great product and my kids love it. They got it for Christmas and two months later it is still holding up well after regular use. Even the cat loves it!" —Azure
Get it from Amazon for $66.95.
15. A portable karaoke microphone that'll transform your outdoor patio into a party from the moment you connect it to the app of your choosing. Ahem, that's just me clearing my throat to treat you all to my rendition of Aladdin's "A Whole New World."
Promising review: "We need something to let the kids sing without having to turn on the whole karaoke system. This works like a charm. The Bluetooth connection helps as well. You can just turn on YouTube and look for any song and they probably have a karaoke version or a sing-a-long they can sing to. The range is also great. We were outside and the volume can be heard nicely." —Phong Bui
Get it from Amazon for $30.99 (available in 11 colors).
16. A flying LED disco ball that might just become the light of your, ahem I mean, your kid's life. No dance party would be complete without it!
Promising review: "My kids love this flying glow ball! It’s easy to control, just keep your hand underneath and it will hover right over. I would only use indoors as we took outside and it flew over our neighbor’s fence! A little bit of wind is not good for this toy! Luckily we got it back, however learned our lesson to keep inside. It looks beautiful when it’s flying as the colors illuminate on the ceiling! Very cool in the dark too! Great price and a lot of fun!" —Brian "SpookYouLaterz" Lubecki
Get it from Amazon for $9.96.
17. Waterproof playing cards, so you can get a fierce game of Go Fish going without fear of the moment your kids inevitably spill their drink all over the table.
Promising review: "These playing cards are a HIT. I take them out with me for social events and when visiting people, even to the beach. We just play and play. So you can get them wet and they won't soggy up and tear, it just becomes a little hard to shuffle. It is so cool that they look like you can see right straight through them but you can't." —Tabitha
Get them from Amazon for $5.97.
18. An Uno "Nothin’ But Paper" card game made from fully recyclable materials that'll teach your tykes to respect Mother Earth and kick your partner's butt in a classic card game.
Me (29), my husband (29), my sister (25), and her boyfriend (25) recently broke out a pack of Uno cards and had a surprisingly fun time as a group of adults who hadn't played this game in years and years. Highly recommend!
Promising review: "Pretty and lightweight, these cards are just as fun as the original deck. They are not as durable so be gentle but otherwise I'm pleased with my purchase." —Ronnie B.
Get it from Amazon for $5.99.
19. A "Build-a-Flower" toy set your kiddo will love if they have big dreams of becoming a florist or simply love ripping dandelions out of the ground and sweetly presenting them to you while getting clumps of dirt all over the house. These flowers will last a *little* longer and be keep play time a *touch* cleaner.
20. A standard swing set you'll pat yourself on the back for setting up when you see how much time your kids will want to spend outside on it — and it'll save you a trip to the park!
Each swing can support 115 pounds and is ideal for ages 3 months to 10 years. You can also purchase a baby swing attachment so little ones can join in on the fun!
Promising review: "This swing set was easy to assemble and our kids love it! My husband and son had it done in under two hours. The *only* minor complaint I have is the photos featured on the product page are a little misleading. The set is not as large as it appears. For us, this was totally okay, but if you are expecting something very tall, this is not that. We have only had it up for a few days, but my husband and I are both so happy with this purchase and so are our children. We love it so much we are purchasing a second set for when friends come over." —Kindle Customer
Get it from Amazon for $246.94.
21. A glow-in-the-dark mini golf set complete with five holes, two putters, LED golf balls, five tee mats, five obstacles, and black lights to transform your yard into Entertainment City.
This kit would be perfect for kiddos who are interested in golf or just for families looking to have another activity on-hand at home. I would honestly play with this myself on a summer day in my backyard — why not?! You can reconfigure the lay out of the holes each time to make it interesting.
Get it from Bed Bath and Beyond for $159.99.
22. A battery-operated card shuffler that'll ensure your kids won't need to ask you to do the daunting task for them each time they finish playing a round of Go Fish.
Promising review: "This is a great device for shuffling cards. We bought it for our younger children because they love playing cards, but hate shuffling cards (and aren't very good at it). This device does just as described. We actually put a smaller deck of Rook cards in it and it works just fine, so it's useful over and beyond a standard playing deck. I give 5 out of 5......would buy again." —Jessica Dasher
Get it from Amazon for $14.99.
23. A personalized Disney Starbucks tumbler featuring the 50th anniversary version of Cinderella Castle, a must-have for anyone who can be found daydreaming about walking down Main Street USA with an iced coffee at any given moment.
I have many cups from this shop and literally use one every day — they truly add some extra joy to my day! You can carry Disney magic around with you no matter where you go and enjoy the fact your name is actually spelled correctly for once. For The Love of Pixie Dust is a woman-owned small business based out of New Jersey that sells a *ton* of Disney-inspired cups. Gabi, the owner, is an absolute ray of sunshine and is so good at what she does, if I do say so myself.
Get it from For The Love of Pixie Dust for $29 (available in 12 colors)
24. A jumbo set of tower blocks that, just like the ones you played with as a kid, will probs stress you out as you strategize and keep you entertained for an entire afternoon — only this time you'll get some fresh air while you're at it.
Promising review: "Purchased these for 'game nights' on the terrace during the summer and they were much more popular than I expected. These are solid and seem like they will last quite a while. Solid set and bag makes storing a breeze!" —Josh
Get them from Amazon for $84.99+ (available in two sizes)
25. A set of massive bubble wands so enchanting that even the angstiest of teens won't be able to resist giving them a go.
The set also comes with instructions on how to make the BIGGEST bubbles possible!
Promising review: "The wand is awesome, but even MORE awesome is that I just used regular bubble solution (way cheaper, found anywhere) and it worked just as well. Maybe better. Some people in reviews have said that you must use the packets that come with the wand, but I gave it a shot anyway with regular bubbles and it worked just fine, with no noticeable difference." —Lauri
Get it from Amazon for $14.95.
26. A glow-in-the-dark fort building kit that'll put the blanket forts you built as a kid to shame. It'll also encourage your kid's imagination to run wild and maybe, just maybe, inspire them to become an architect someday.
Promising review: "We love the fun, creative play generated from the Fun Forts building set. The parts are manufactured in a way to allow children to engineer and construct their own designs. This is our second set purchased since we loved the first and wanted to expand, although expansion is not necessary." —Darcy Davenport
Get it from Amazon for $34.95.
27. A Buddha Board to help them relax a bit after a tantrum or a tough day at school — you can take a turn when you have a bad day, too.
I gifted this to my mom and it's been such a hit! All you have to do is fill the stand with water, dip the bamboo brush in, and start creating! It's surprisingly super soothing and is great because you don't have to think long and hard about what to draw since it disappears anyways! It's a great practice in the "art of letting go" and is honestly a lovely way to spend an hour unwinding.
Promising review: "I work at a college in an environment where I am stressed out a lot, but I also have a lot of stressed out college students in my office! The Buddha Board is incredibly soothing to 'paint' on (only requires water' and helps remind me that tough days will fade away just like my artwork does. Several of my coworkers have this in their office too. And, of course, it's great when you're not stressed out too — just fun to play with!" —Violet Kayjee
Get it from Amazon for $34.95.
28. A hammock, in case you have ~someone special~ in your life you'd like to snuggle up with while you gaze into the night sky.
Promising review: "Love the hammock. Very easy to put up, and I love the mesh. I'm planning on using it all summer. It's a little tight for my boyfriend and me. You need to be comfortable with the person you're sharing with LOL. But definitely worth the price." —Shelsea Rivera
Get it from Amazon for $27.99 (available in two colors).
29. An intense ball launcher your pup will love you even more for buying — you'll be able to REALLY toss that tennis ball without being limited by your inability to throw.
Promising review: "I don’t know who has more fun, my dog or me. LOL. I’ve used this for fetch every day for over a week now. It’s a ton of fun! I like that you can pick the ball up with the end of the gun. It saves your back and while my dog isn’t a slobber hound like others I’ve had...it’s nice you don’t have to touch the ball after it’s dog slimed. Get the mini model for small tennis balls and the large gun shoots conventional size tennis balls! Get it! You and your dog will thank me!" —workoutnut2010
Get it from Amazon for $14.95+ (available in three sizes).
30. A solar-powered charging bank you'll cherish if you spend all of your free time going on intense hikes and posting Instagram pics of the views at the end. Your phone will be READY!
This gadget is waterproof and USB compatible.
Promising review: "This works like a champ. I was out camping in the mountains for five days with no electricity. I followed the instructions and made sure the unit had a full charge prior to its first use. The first night my cellphone was down to 10% and my tablet down to 5%. I turned them both off and plugged them in (at the same time) into the solar charger. When I woke up in the morning they were both at 100% charge. During the day I left the solar charger exposed to the sun. Each night it charged my cellphone and my tablet to 100%." —Rover Rover
Get it from Amazon for $33.94 (available in three colors).
31. An Echelon Smart Bike to make you feel like you're in the midst of an intense workout class without the added pressure of *actually* being around people.
I have an Echelon bike (and so do my in-laws!) and absolutely love it. The classes are super fun and engaging, the instructors are delightful and motivational, and the soundtracks for each class are fantastic. You can select your workout type (hills, speed, a mix of a variety of things) and the type of music you feel like sweating to (pop, '80s, '90s, rock, funk, hip hop, etc!). It's genuinely a nice community and a fun way to exercise!
Promising review: "Due to the pandemic that limits outdoor activities. I decided to look for an indoor cardio workout machine and end up getting the Echelon bike. To my surprise assembly was a snap and performance was a five star. During operation the bike performs so quietly making it a perfect fit for our needs specially living in an apartment building. I definitely recommend this bike for cardio enthusiasts and for active individuals seeking for a gym-worthy bike offering a different degree of workout." —Cris
Get it from Amazon for $999.99+ (available in four styles and three colors).
32. An interactive The Floor is Lava game that'll get you and your kiddos out of your seat and bouncin' around the house — in a good way!
Promising review: "This is one of my son’s (age 8) absolute favorite games. We have a blast playing as a family and will play multiple rounds at a time. Being able to adjust the difficulty by putting the pieces closer or further apart is helpful when playing with younger kids or when trying to make it harder. We also adjust the game to allow furniture to be climbed on when trying to get to hard to reach tiles (just as long as you don’t fall in the lava). I’ve even taken this game along to adult parties (shhhh don’t tell my son)." —Alicia A. Atkinson
Get it from Amazon for $16.97.
33. A Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite your kiddo has probably been begging you for since they learned Animal Crossing existed. Added bonus? You can play with it when they go to bed and show Tom Nook once and for whose boss.
When I tell you my Nintendo Switch Lite and my husband's Nintendo Switch has been a true game-changer in keeping us both entertained over the last year I wholeheartedly mean it. From spending hours upon hours building a 5-star island on Animal Crossing: New Horizons and adventuring in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild to breaking a sweat playing Fit Boxing 2 and exploring the beautiful world in Ori and The Will of The Wisps, there really isn't anything you can't do on a Nintendo Switch device.
Promising review: "The Switch is Nintendo's best device since the N64. I use my Switch every day. I commute by train so this has been perfect for me. There has never been a handheld this good. The transition to and from docked mode is seamless. The battery life is also pretty decent. Overall, it is a great device. Nintendo's back!" —Arjun S. Kahlon
Learn about the difference between the two products with my breakdown here.
34. A mini projector you can set up in your yard for the ultimate movie night your kids will never forget — good luck convincing them to watch anything other than Frozen.
This projector is a 10/10 because it can be hooked up to anything — a TV Box, an Amazon Fire TV Stick, a ChromeBook, tablets, Blu-ray DVD players, SD Card, USB flash drives, and smartphones. It even comes with all the cables necessary to connect!
Promising review: "I’ve been wanting to get a projector for some time now, but was having a hard time deciding on one. I’m glad that I decided on this one! The price point is great, the unit comes with cables, an adjustable stand, and a remote, and the setup is easy. I hooked it up to my phone and was able to view live sporting events that I was watching on my phone! After the game was over, I hooked it up to a DVD player and my kids watched Frozen and were able to operate the machine themselves. They went crazy when we aimed it at the ceiling while laying on the floor to watch!" —Liz Kara