1. Back in November, Hamilton writer and star Lin-Manuel Miranda made all of us so very excited when he said that he’d be “totally open” to women playing some of the roles originated by men in the hit show.
Part of the trouble with casting women in those parts comes from transposing the men’s parts to female voices, Miranda said at the time. “That being said, no one’s voice is set in high school. So I’m totally open to women playing founding fathers once this goes into the world,” Miranda continued. “I can’t wait to see kick-ass women Jeffersons and kick-ass women Hamiltons once this gets to schools.”
2. Miranda expanded on that to include “regional” productions when he appeared on BuzzFeed’s Another Round podcast.
“What I’m excited about is I’m not going to put restrictions on gender for when we do the high school productions, the regional productions,” he said. “I want the people who want to do the show to do the show, and so I’m looking forward to that.”
(You can hear the full interview on March 8.)
3. For a brief moment, our dreams of seeing women in a professional performance of the show came so very close to becoming a reality. A casting notice posted on backstage.com showed at least two major roles in the show are being opened up for women.
The casting call in Philadelphia was for “current and upcoming productions” of Hamilton, publicist Sam Rudy told BuzzFeed News.
5. BUT TRAGEDY. By Thursday night, the post no longer said “men & women” were under consideration. Which leaves us feeling extremely heartbroken.
“We are so excited to find unique and outstanding people for all roles in HAMILTON all around America but unfortunately, this is NOT our casting breakdown and does not reflect our current casting criteria,” Bethany Knox, the casting director running the search, said in an email to BuzzFeed News.
- Congressional Republicans have made it clear that they disagree with President-elect Donald Trump's plan on how to keep jobs in the US.
- At least 36 people died in Friday's fire at a warehouse party in Oakland. Prosecutors say murder charges are possible.
- Facebook, Microsoft, Twitter, and YouTube are teaming up to target and remove terrorist content on their platforms 💻📌
- Adult Swim's alt-right comedy show didn't last long. They canceled it after 1 season following fierce criticism ❌📺