We recently asked the BuzzFeed Community what advice they would give to tourists visiting Sydney. Here’s what they said:
1. Rent an Airbnb in an inner city suburb rather than stay at a hotel.
2. Explore the Inner West for great food, quirky shops and markets.
3. Avoid the obvious bars with a view and seek out local spots.
4. Seek out some of the quieter beaches on the North Shore.
5. Sydneysiders love dumplings and brunch. It's worth venturing to certain spots for the best.
6. Explore hidden beaches and tracks. There are so many breathtaking walks that wind around different areas of Sydney.
7. Blu Bar at the Shangri-La hotel has amazing views and is open to the public.
8. Save $$ by skipping the Harbour Bridge climb and getting the same view from Pylon Lookout.
9. Seriously, use sun protection.
10. Allocate a budget for transport, and pack comfy walking shoes.
11. Travel to different areas by ferry. The experience is much more zen than battling traffic or navigating other forms of public transport.
12. Speaking of public transport, Opal Cards are free and easy to obtain.
13. Some of the best beaches in the Eastern Suburbs are the small, secluded ones.
14. Go shopping (or window shopping) at the historical Queen Victoria Building in the CBD.
15. There's fun to be had in lesser known areas, such as Western Sydney, too. A day trip further beyond to the Blue Mountains is worthwhile.
16. There are magical places a little off the beaten track, such as Beare Park.
17. And most importantly, Australia's favourite hardware store Bunnings Warehouse do a mighty fine sausage sizzle.
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.