24 Pretty Cool Things People Have, For Some Reason, Decided Are Awful
If loving pumpkin spice is wrong, then I don't want to be right.
1. "Actors who played characters that people didn’t like."
2. "Opossums. They're neat little critters. They eat tons of ticks that carry Lyme disease, (mostly) don't carry rabies because their body temp is too low, and they're the only marsupial native to North America!"
3. "Sleeping with stuffed animals."
4. "Pumpkin spice. It gets associated as 'generic white girl shit' but goddammit, that shit is tasty! I look forward to every fall when pumpkin spice comes back."
5. "Nickelback. Sure, they aren't the best band in history, but they don't deserve the meme-like status they've received."
6. "The missionary position. Feels fantastic, isn’t too strenuous, and can be as intimate or dirty as you make it."
7. "Black cats"
8. "Customer service associates"
9. "Minivans. Super luxo inside, can tow a trailer or boat, hauls more than a small truck, and [has] all-wheel drive."
10. "Sharks. They are beautiful, complex creatures, deserving of respect and, like any wild animal, should be left alone in their natural habitat, but they get this reputation as vicious bloodthirsty monsters."
11. "Puns. Everyone always acts like they're so cringey, when secretly, I think we all know how great they are."
12. "Meteorologists. They try their best to predict the weather based on patterns, models, and data. They're not perfect because predicting the weather is insanely difficult. When they get it wrong, I think we should go easy on them. It was probably an outlier result almost no one could have foreseen."
13. "Cartoons [for kids]. Some are actually really good, even as an adult."
14. "Guy Fieri. He literally is the nicest person in the world, but since he looks like he was electrocuted by Mountain Dew, people want to saw his head off."
15. "(Insert current video game popular with kids) Be it Minecraft or Fortnite or Roblox or whatever, there always seems to be a game out which is fashionable to shit all over just because a certain group of people you find personally annoying enjoy."
16. "The younger generations."
17. "I can understand a fear or phobia of snakes because we're instinctually afraid of them ... Hating snakes, though? Most of them leave you alone and mind their business as long as you mind yours."
18. "Spiders. They're one of the backbones of the earth's ecosystem because they prey on so many pests, but people hate them because they're creepy-looking and occasionally dangerous if provoked."
19. "Everything teenage girls like. They get hate for liking girly stuff; they get hate for being 'not like other girls'; they get hate for being 'fake-geeks'; they get hate for liking edgy stuff. Just let teenage girls like stuff."
20. "Living with your parents rather than roommates into your twenties. It just makes sense to stay in a comfortable (and possibly much more financially stable) environment if you do, in fact, have that option."
21. "SPAM (the canned SPiced hAM product, not trash email). I make SPAM musubi about three times a year. At least once a year, my family has fried SPAM sandwiches for supper. We would probably have it more often if it wasn't so expensive."
22. "Am I allowed to say country music? Like, I don’t even listen to it, but whenever someone says they like country music, someone else is gonna gag in their face. A lot of it is formulaic, but so is pop. And most hit songs of any genre. And there’s also decent country music. The root of modern pop is country rock. Music snobs need to take a seat on this one."
23. "Unemployed people. A lot of people genuinely are looking for work and did not want to lose their last job/it was beyond their control (like a layoff), but they get so much hate and called lazy by most people."
24. And finally..."You. You reading this — you don't deserve the hate you get from yourself. Let up. Be kind. You would do it for someone else."
Note: Submissions have been edited for length/clarity.