16 Life-Changing Instagram Tips From Fashion Blogger Margaret Zhang
All we wanna do is flat lay like you.
This is Margaret Zhang, 22-year-old Australian fashion blogger extraordinaire.
But, more than anything, Margaret is an Instagram queen.
1. Don't over edit.
2. Good lighting is everything, so try shooting in the morning or the afternoon.
3. Don't bother trying to get a good photo with flash, or in dim lighting.
4. Set up your outfit flat lays on the floor, on a large piece of cardboard, or a photogenic rug - if you've got one handy.
5. Put the ~hero~ clothing item in the middle and make everything fan out from that.
6. Then get up on a step ladder, or a table, or a chair to get the shot.
7. Always fill in all the gaps in your photo.
8. When taking photos of your food for Instagram, again, make sure you're keeping that square full.
9. Don't be afraid to stand on your chair to get the perfect table snap.
10. Enhance the saturation when editing.
11. If the lighting is yellow, adjust the temperature of the image and make everything a little more blue.
12. But if you’re shooting under fluorescent lighting, warm up the temperature of the image.
13. When it comes to travel photos, the trick is getting there before the rest of the tourists.
14. When asking someone to take a photo of you when you’re feeling your look, tell them exactly how you want it framed.
15. Always take a selfie with the same hand as your good side.
16. And always avoid backlighting.
Margaret Zhang is the face of Clinique's new Face Forward campaign, which facilitated this interview.