3. AND Labour didn’t build a single new nuclear plant, to shield us from those price-rises:
Labour ducked this issue. They didn’t build a single new nuclear power plant.
Conservatives are tackling this. ‘Hinkley Point C’ will be the first new nuclear plant in the UK in 20 years following a deal between the Government and energy firm EDF.
This means new jobs, as well as ‘home-grown’ electricity that could power an area twice the size of London.
4. AND, Labour destroyed competition. They squeezed 14 energy firms down to just the ‘Big Six’:
Labour saddled us with just the ‘Big Six’: concentrating power in the hands of a few giant firms.
Conservatives are turning that around, with several new independent suppliers entering the market in the last two years.
To boost competition, we have also asked the OFT, Ofgem and the new Competition Markets Authority to look under the bonnet of the energy market each year, to see how easy it is for families to get the best deal.
9. Ed Miliband attacks switching as a ‘con’. But that’s exactly what he did himself!
Ed Miliband shouted recently in PMQs: ‘I will tell the Prime Minister what is a con: telling people…that the answer was to switch suppliers!’
But, what did we discover in the last few days? Ed Miliband actually switched his OWN supplier, hoping to cut his own private bills.
Typical, isn’t it? The same old Labour Party. They attack the Government’s policy for the TV cameras, but then they go home and adopt that policy themselves.
10. Even now, Ed Miliband wants your bills to rise by ANOTHER £125 a year:
Labour haven’t changed. They still care more about green taxes than people who are struggling to stay warm.
Just a few days ago, Ed Miliband ordered his politicians in the House of Lords to vote for ‘decarbonising the power sector by 2030’.
Independent research shows this means more carbon taxes, and you would pay the price. Labour’s plan would cost Britain an extra £7.5 billion a year, adding around £125 to your household bills.
11. That’s right. Ed Miliband is demanding your bills must rise by £125 a year! Madness:
Even moderate Labour people have been shocked by Ed Miliband’s demands.
Labour peer Lord Donoghue recently felt forced to speak out against his own party for the first time in 28 years, for example. He broke his silence, saying:
‘I have never spoken against a Labour amendment in my 28 years in this House, but I propose to do so today because I am troubled by this misguided amendment… These policies hurt the poor, given rocketing energy prices… [Labour’s] amendment will, most probably, raise the cost of living… I cannot see why I, as a Labour person, should support the amendment: it hits jobs and is likely to increase fuel poverty’.
But Ed Miliband isn’t listening.
12. The Conservatives will help you to keep warm this winter:
Here are six ways the Government is taking action, to help you with your energy bills this winter:
• Helping you get the cheapest deal on electricity. Through the Energy Bill we are taking steps to help people get the best energy deal. This could save you as much as £158.
• Reviewing green levies. These levies add £112 to the average energy bill and we will set out plans to cut this number in the Autumn Statement. Energy bosses say they will pass this saving onto consumers.
• A £135 discount on electricity bills for the most vulnerable. A £135 discount on electricity bills is available to 2 million low income and vulnerable households thanks to our Warm Homes discount.
• Protected winter fuel payments for 12.7 million pensioners. We have protected winter fuel payments worth £200 to £300 for 12.7 million pensioners.
•Cold weather payments for over 4 million people. We have increased funding for Cold weather payments by £50 million. They are now worth £25 per payment for over 4 million people.
• New funding for energy saving improvements in homes. People can now make energy saving improvements to their homes with no upfront cost through the Green Deal.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- The Army Corps of Engineers and North Dakota police have ordered protesters to leave the Dakota Access Pipeline site by this afternoon or face arrest.
- Seven Earth-sized planets that could have water and possibly sustain life have been discovered orbiting a dwarf star, NASA announced today.
- The ACLU is suing the city of Milwaukee and its police for allegedly performing thousands of illegal stop-and-frisk searches that targeted minorities.
- #Peggygate: West Elm offers full refunds for the notoriously disintegrating Peggy Couch days after pulling it from its website and stores👏