11. In mid-September 2013, two access lanes to the George Washington Bridge — which connects New Jersey and New York — were unexpectedly shut down for a week.
15. Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich and other Democrats immediately cried foul, suggesting the bridge closure was an act of political revenge for not supporting Christie.
16. The Christie administration pushed back hard against the allegation.
20. On Aug. 13 — a few weeks before the lane closings — Christie’s Deputy Chief of Staff Bridget Anne Kelly had this rather unambiguous email exchange Christie’s Port Authority aide, David Wildstein:
Kelly: “Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee.”
Wildstein: “Got it.”
23. When the exchanges became public, along with the revelation that a woman may have died as a result of EMS workers being caught in the traffic jam, reaction from the press and public was swift.
- President Obama commuted the federal sentences of 111 prisoners, nearing a total of 700 over the course of his presidency.
- BuzzFeed News exposes a secretive legal system that allows corporations to intimidate entire countries with one threat.
- And Apple has to repay up to €13 billion ($14.5 billion) in illegal tax benefits to Ireland, the European Commission has ruled.