18 Beautifully Haunting Abandoned Places Around The World
A look at life after humans, presented by Getty Images.
1. This lonely 20th-century home in a developing Shanghai neighborhood.
2. An overgrown abandoned village on Shengshan Island in Zhoushan, China.
3. The derelict lobby of the Lee Plaza Hotel in Detroit.
4. A quiet Ferris wheel in Pripyat, Ukraine, left abandoned after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster in 1986.
5. The uninhabited Japanese island of Gukan jima, or "Warship Island," where more than 5,000 people once resided in the 1950s.
6. This once glorious monument in the Central Balkan Mountains of Bulgaria.
7. This shell of a house that has since been reclaimed by the Sahara Desert.
8. These 13th-century flour mills that remain standing in Sorrento, Italy.
9. A surreal scene inside an abandoned power plant in Charleroi, Belgium.
10. A mining village in Kolmanskop, Namibia, where the lines between outdoor and indoor have disappeared.
11. The Maunsell Forts in the Thames estuary that once protected the UK during World War II.
12. These 100 villas without a single resident in Taiyuan, Shanxi province, China.
13. The forsaken International Railway Station of Canfranc, Spain — opened in 1928 and abruptly abandoned in 1970.
14. These dusty roofs peaking through the volcanic rubble after the 1997 eruption in Montserrat.
15. The trees growing on top of the Beelitz-Heilstätten sanatorium ruins in Beelitz, Germany.
16. The empty halls of the Hellenikon airport, which once served 12 million passengers a year in Athens, Greece.
17. These bizarre abandoned ships left to rust in the desert of Aral, Kazakhstan.
18. And the overgrown Faliro Olympic Complex where thousands once cheered in Athens.
See more abandoned places around world at Getty Images.