2. Capoeira is Dustin Hoffman trying to kick Robert Deniro’s ass in Meet The Fockers.
3. It’s Vincent Cassel making his way through a laser secured room in Ocean’s 12.
4. And the only good part about Halle Berry in Catwoman.
5. It first caught Hollywood’s eye back in the ’90s with the movie Only The Strong.
6. Then it started popping up in fighting movies such as The Protector.
7. At one point it even crept its way into Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
10. Capoeira was officially outlawed in Brazil in 1892.
11. So capoeristas had to keep a very low profile; they gave each other nicknames so as to keep their true identities a secret.
That way, if a group was caught fighting, they wouldn’t be able to give up the names of others involved even if they wanted to. The tradition of giving out nicknames is still an active part of Capoeira.
12. The prohibition lasted until the 1930s, and then it went on to become one of the most popular martial arts both in Brazil and abroad.
Mestre Bimba, the father of capoeira and founder of the first capoeira school in all of Brazil, was essential in fighting for the legality of the martial art.
18. … But don’t be fooled because you can, and will, knock a bitch out!
- UK voters sent a massive shock through the world, overturning 40 years of British EU membership.
- Prime Minister David Cameron says he will resign by October.
- British banks got hit hard, and their European peers were hit even harder.
- Scottish leader Nicola Sturgeon says a second independence referendum for Scotland is "highly likely."