1 3/4 cups canned or fresh cooked pumpkin puree
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1 cup cream
1/2 cup milk
Unbaked, unpricked, chilled 9-inch pie shell
Turn pumpkin into saucepan and stir over direct heat for 10 minutes until somewhat dry and slightly caramelized, stirring frequently. Remove from heat but keep hot.
Mix thoroughly together the sugar, salt, and spices, and stir into hot pumpkin.
Beat eggs, add cream and milk, and beat into pumpkin mixture until smooth.
Pour immediately into unpricked pastry-lined pie pan and bake in a moderately hot oven (400°F) for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and only an inch circle in the center of the filling remains liquid. Cool thoroughly on cake rack before cutting.
Note: Perfectly baked pumpkin pie has no cracks on its surface. Baking hot filling in a chilled crust at 400°F for 25 to 30 minutes produces a smooth, shiny, good-textured custard and a well-baked crust free from soaking. But if your pie dish is thicker glass or ceramic instead of metal, or you loathe underdone bottom crust, you might still want to blind bake it a little. Here’s what we’d recommend: Blind bake at 350°F lined with parchment and filled with baking beans/weights until sides are dry and firm, about 10 minutes. Remove weights, then bake until completely dry and firm and starting to turn golden, 5 to 10 minutes more. Cool thoroughly. Then watch the pie closely as it bakes — it might be done early, since the cold, raw crust isn’t there to protect it. And if the edges are starting to look wrinkled while the middle is very jiggly, turn the heat down to 350°F.
8. Edward Giobbi’s Spaghetti alla Foriana
Here’s a genius pasta sauce for every season, made from your pantry, spice rack, and cheese bin in the time it takes water to boil. Oh, and did we mention it’s vegetarian and easily made vegan?
Food52 is a community for people who love food and cooking. Follow them at Food52.com and on Twitter @Food52.
- Criticized previously for not forcefully speaking out, Donald Trump condemned anti-Semitism after bomb threats were reported at 11 Jewish centers.
- President Trump has named H.R. McMaster as his new national security adviser, replacing Michael Flynn who resigned last week.
- Milo Yiannopoulos's book has been canceled after he was accused of defending pedophilia.
- West Elm pulled the Peggy Couch from its site after years of scathing customer reviews and complaints of buttons popping off 🙈