1. One of your childhood dreams was probably to wear braces, and for some reason, you thought it would be really cool.
2. Choosing the color of the elastics seemed super fun.
3. Until the day arrived.
4. As soon as you found out you were getting braces, you started worrying that they would make you wear that helmet thing.
5. Making the mold was hands down one of the worst experiences of your life...and quite possibly the first near-death experience you ever had.
6. There was ALWAYS food stuck in your braces, no matter what you did.
7. Which meant you basically said bye-bye to this:
8. And this:
9. And this, too:
10. Brushing your teeth generally took so long that you decided it was better to just prepare yourself to not eat for hours.
11. You couldn't wait to be able to smile confidently in pictures again.
12. Oh, and sometimes, when you did smile, your lip got stuck to your braces.
13. You worried that your braces would get stuck if you tried to kiss someone else with braces.
14. For days following a visit to your orthodontist for adjustments, you thought you'd never be able to eat anything solid ever again.
15. And when your teeth didn't hurt after a visit to the orthodontist, you felt like you'd been blessed by a miracle.
16. But what hurt the most was when the orthodontist increased the amount of time that you'd have to wear braces.
17. Basically, this became the most important moment in your life:
18. There are no words to describe that moment when you finally felt your soft, beautiful teeth once again.
19. But then your orthodontist reminded you that you'd have to spend years afterwards wearing a retainer and, in doing so, stripped you of all your happiness.
This post was translated from Portuguese.