1. The parrot with the moving last words.
Alex the African gray parrot was able to count and identify colors, and he had a beautiful relationship with his person, Irene Pepperberg. When Alex died in 2007, his last words to her were, “You be good. I love you.”
2. The powerful story of Grace the elephant’s vigil over her friend who suffered from a snake bite:
3. The heroic cat, Lara, who saved a boy from a dog attack:
Five years ago, Tara followed young Jeremy Triantafilo home from the park and the family decided to keep her. Last month, Tara returned the favor a thousandfold by heroically saving the 4-year-old from a vicious dog attack.
5. The trout who provided companionship and love to his person for 20 years:
Mrs. Keyte had a beloved pet trout who would eat worms from her hand. When the old fish died in 1855, she memorialized him with this tombstone, which is now a popular tourist attraction in Blockley, Gloucestershire.
6. Mitzy the cat:
When Mitzy’s owner had a stroke, she had to spend time in rehab recovering. After three weeks, her friends were finally able to bring Mitzy in to see her: “Once we let her out of the crate, Mitzy wouldn’t get off her lap for anything.”
7. The dog who waited for his owner at the train station:
9. Scarlett, the heroic cat who rescued her kittens:
Scarlett and her five kittens were in an abandoned garage that caught fire. A firefighter on the scene noticed Scarlett carrying her kittens out of the garage one at a time, severely burning herself in the process. After saving the kittens, she touched each of their noses to see if they were alive — since the blisters on her eyes had temporarily blinded her — and then she collapsed unconscious.
10. The partially paralyzed kanagaroo who became a therapy animal for an Oklahoma woman suffering from depression:
After a stroke, and a debilitating depression, and an attempted suicide, Christie Carr found new meaning volunteering at a wildlife refuge, where she met Irwin, a 5-month-old kangaroo who had partially paralyzed himself after hopping into a fence. The town of Broken Arrow unanimously voted to create an exemption to their exotic animals ordinance so that the inseparable Carr and Irwin could continue their lives together.
11. The Japanese dog who refused to leave his wounded companion’s side after the tsunami:
This dog refused to leave his friend’s side after she was injured — pacing around her and taking time to nuzzle and comfort her until rescuers arrived and took both animals to safety.
14. And the adopted puppy who aspired to be a service dog:
When former law enforcement officer Chester Hembree was told that his son Lucas, who suffers from Sanfilippo syndrome, was a poor candidate for a service animal, Chester saved a Belgian Malinois pup from a Tennessee shelter and trained him to be a service dog by himself.
In conclusion, take a moment to find an animal you care about and let them know that you love them.
- Hillary Clinton made her debut with VP pick Tim Kaine, who dipped into Spanish and spoke on support for immigration reform and gun control.
- The gunman who killed at least 10 people at a Munich, Germany mall on Friday was an 18-year-old "obsessed" with mass shootings, police said.
- ISIS has claimed responsibility for a bombing that killed at least 80 people in Afghanistan Saturday.