8. Make an ice block for punch — it melts slower on a hot day and waters down the punch less.
To make an ice block, just fill any container with water and freeze it overnight — you can use a loaf pan, a cake pan, Tupperware. To release the ice, turn it upside down over the sink and run hot water over the container until the ice block pops out.
Pictured: Fish House Punch, recipe at Saveur.
9. When you don’t have beaters, make whipped cream in a jar.
Fill a jar with a lid about halfway with heavy cream (and, if you have it, a little sugar and vanilla) and shake for about three minutes or until it’s the consistency you want. Arm workout! Less dishes!
More great tips here from Martha Stewart.
- A Cincinnati zoo is defending its decision to kill a gorilla after a boy fell into an exhibit.
- Former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said Edward Snowden performed a "public service" leaking surveillance secrets.
- The GOP spent years building a Latino outreach project. Now Republicans worry it died with Donald Trump's nomination.